XVIII. Beautiful Intrusion

Beginne am Anfang

"Unlikely," said Emma before her lips curved into an equal wicked smile as her sister's, "but then, no one has ever won against our great talent, yes?"

"Agreed." Ysabella reached for her tea again. "We do not make matches."

"We find them," Emma finished.

"And I believe we found a potential pair today."

Emma leaned forward to pick Mrs. Beagle from the floor. "Yes, I believe we did and once all of this is over, we shall have a grand and marvelous time with those two."

*****

"What are you doing, bandit?" Ralph asked when he found Alex in the drawing room.

She whirled around with a piece of trinket in her hand.

"Are you stealing?"

She held up the object, a small egg-shaped trinket basket with peridot stones lined along the rims. "Perhaps. This one's particularly beautiful, guv. I can't help meself."

Ralph stalked across the room and snatched the item from her hand and replaced it on the cabinet. He frowned at her. "You led me to believe you do not steal from the Everards."

"Yer devoid of the privilege, guv," she said with a shrug.

Her dark bushy hair was free and made a beautiful mess around her face and behind her shoulders. She was wearing her freshly washed bedraggled shirt and trousers again and Ralph thought he ought to find her another dress if he wanted to keep her from the Guards and the other men who were after her.

He was not the only one who was assessing for Alex was doing the same, looking at him from top to bottom. "Yer goin' out again?"

"Yes."

"Where?"

"My brothers finally found Nick."

The relief on her face was genuine. "Then he is safe!"

"I believe so," he said with a nod. "Max is not one who offers a ton of information even on a bloody note. I would have to see for myself."

"I'll stay here again, eh?" she asked, looking around the room.

"After what I caught you doing just moments ago, I am reconsidering that option."

She rolled her eyes. "I'll spend the day with Siege. Me horse needs a good cleanin'."

"I have servants to do that. You stay inside the apartment."

She waved her hand to dismiss him. "Off ye go, guv."

"I have to go to the Town Guard headquarters to provide another statement to another High Officer. I cannot leave Wickhurst unless that is done. I would have to gain permission to leave Wickhurst to get to my brother and also to find Jeremy Briars the very moment my brother-in-law has details of his whereabouts."

"I dinna ask how you'll be spendin' yer day, guv. Ye can go wherever ye want without tellin' me."

Ralph opened his mouth to argue but decided against it. Yes, why would he tell her how he would be spending his day?

As he turned around to leave, Alex said, "But ye be careful, guv. I dinna want to wait forever for no one."

Ralph scoffed with the intent to finish the day with more productive results. He was not worried about getting permission to leave Wickhurst for he personally knew the High Officer who shall be doing the deliberation today. He was worried someone could enter his estate while he was gone.