Chapter 15

The boy cringed when I moved towards him so I stepped back a little, my hands up with my palms out. I kept his focus on me, trying to get him to forget about what was happening around him as Zak seemed to be panicking.

"Tera-" Zak started but I shushed him, my attention not wavering from the boy.

"You need to calm down. Your anxiety is feeding his." Zak looked surprised at the reprimand before stepping back, withdrawing from the boys sight. I moved forward again, making sure my voice was low and calm as I spoke.

"It's okay. You're safe. Nothing is going to hurt you." I stopped a few steps away from the child, lowering myself to his height. "Do you know what's happening?" He didn't answer, instead he just stared at me, his eyes wide with fear. His breath rasped as he inhaled and a quiet sob passed his lips. I smiled, taking a deep breath as I watched him. "It's called a panic attack. It happens when your brain thinks you're in danger but can't figure out where the danger is coming from. You've just got to breathe, Monkey, and you'll be okay. Copy me." I knew that keeping the boys focus on me would lend a huge advantage to calming him down as I started controlling my breathing, deep inhales that were a direct contrast from the boys raspy breaths. I barely noticed the awkward silence as the boy and I stared at each other. Slowly the boys breaths lengthened and he lowered his arms as his body began to tremble.

"You're okay." I reiterated, swooping forward and gathering him into my arms. Zak watched the both of us, chewing on his lip as though he was thinking about something. I raised my eyebrow at him but he shook his head.

"Sorry. I didn't know I was making it worse." He muttered, his voice quiet. He seemed withdrawn, watching the boy in my arms as though worried about approaching him. I frowned. It almost seemed like he was nervous about something.

"Don't worry about it." He blinked as he looked up at me. "If you've never seen someone have a panic attack before, it can be a harrowing experience. Once you know how to help it's not so scary." I ran my fingers through the boys curly hair as he leaned his head on my shoulder, his body relaxing as though he was exhausted. It took me a few seconds to realise Zak was looking at me with a frown on his face.

"Wait a minute - does that mean you've experienced someone having a panic attack before?" I resettled the boy on my hip as Zak sighed heavily and rubbed the back of his neck.

"Yeah. Rach had a few but I learned how to help them because my little brother had them pretty often." The boy in my arms squirmed slightly and I followed his line of sight to find that the door handle was jiggling. Zak seemed taken back by something as he grabbed a handful of his hair and tugged thoughtfully.

"Brother? But I thought you were alone-"

"Zak, do you know where Tera went?" We all looked up as Dot walked into the room, her blonde hair swinging in it's ponytail. She blinked at us before smiling awkwardly.

"Oh, uh. Found her, I guess." She grinned. Her smile was so open and honest that I instantly returned it but still, she frowned in response.

"Dot, is it break time already?" Zaks poker face had slipped back into place as Dot began to shake her head.

"No, my shift has finished. Although, it is break time, it's the womens turn to bathe and I was wondering if Tera wanted to join us?" Zak and I looked at each other before he moved forward, his arms outstretched for the boy in my arms.

"Yeah, no problem. Thanks for the help, Tera." I nodded, moving to hand him the tired child.

"Hold it." Everyone in the room froze as Llewellyn walked in. I pulled the boy closer to my chest as the man almost seemed to glare at his son. Zaks eyebrows seemed to crease in confusion as Llewellyn turns to look at me, smiling at the boy who was staring at him through a wall of my hair.