Chapter 5 -> The Tough Truth

White lies cover up the darker side of the truth.

---

Serena

"RINGG!"

I had not seen Ash after the incident in the principal's office. Hopefully, I could find him at his house.

When the door started to swing open, I was relieved but shocked to see a young woman appearing from behind the door. She was wearing a blue tank top and shorts. She asked me first, "Who are you looking for?"

I snapped out of my surprise and replied, "Uhh, I am looking for Ash."

"Ash?" she paused momentarily, "Who are you?"

"I am Serena, Ash's friend."

She said invitingly, "So you are Serena, come in!"

Puzzled by her sudden hospitality, I walked down the path to the living room.

Although I had been in Ash's home before for projects, his house looked tidier but had lesser empty spaces to walk around. There were toys around such as Lego blocks, toy cars.

We settled down on the sofa in the living room. Before I could ask anything, she said, "Serena, so sorry about the other time when Ash passed me the money and you were chasing behind. I really needed the money at that point in time and I didn't know Ash will go so far as to steal the money from you. So sorry and have Ash returned you the money?"

"Yeah, he did."

I didn't know what to feel. It was so awkward that she was apologising to me when I just knew her and she immediately recognised me.

I asked, "So who are you? Do you live here in Ash's house?"

"Don't be mistaken, I am not his girlfriend, I just move into his house. My name is Dawn." Dawn explained.

"Where is Ash then?"

Dawn said, "Ash is upstairs in his room resting. What are you looking him for?"

"Well, I just" I stuttered.

I didn't know why. I felt nervous in front of Dawn, perhaps because she was a stranger to me. Also, I didn't know how much she knows about Ash to even talk about Ash.

She helped me by saying, "About the incident in the principal's office right?"

"Yes! How did you know?" I asked.

"Ash told me everything about it when he came back. Although he was keeping his feelings to himself, I could sense his rage, anger and hatred towards Gary." Dawn explained.

"Wow, he must be close to you." I exclaimed.

"No, no, Serena, please don't misunderstand, I am just Ash's friend, even though he shared lots of his past with me." Dawn disagreed with me.

"Then... When did you move in?" I asked.

"Well, I am just temporarily staying here because I have not found a replacement rental apartment at that point in time. In fact, I will be moving out some time next week, don't tell Ash that!" the blue-hair girl explained.

"Rental apartment, where are your parents?" I asked.

"Well, it is a long story," Dawn said.

Dawn added, "I try to cut it short. My mother disowned me because I insisted on giving birth to that baby boy you know. I really love his father. Don't be mistaken. The father is really not Ash despite the rumours. Ash is really a nice person, willing to accommodate the two of us, hence leading to all this trouble and the fight."