~Prologue~

{Monday, September 12th: 2:15 P.M.}

  I watch as the once familiar landscape passes by the window, feeling like it's literally been forever since I last set eyes on it.

  The truck turns right onto a long gravel driveway, a wooden fence on either side. The vehicle tilts up as it ascends a small hill, the bright sunlight streaming in from every window. Going down, my eyes land on the old - yet new, country styled house in the distance.

  It looks exactly the same since I last saw it seven weeks ago. White paint with red shutters, a white picket fence surrounding it. A small apple orchard outback along with a giant oak. A tire swing hanging from a limb.

  There's a deep feeling of comfort from just looking at it. Helping to loosen the many stress knots that undoubtedly hide beneath my skin just a fraction as I let a relaxing breath out.

  I'm back.

  The car ride from the clinic to here was met with silence, no one feeling the need to speak. Don and Lucy sit up front, and I sit in the back with my right elbow propped up against the door.

  Just like so many other times.

  Another minute goes by before Don pulls up into the parking spot in front of the house, the engine shutting off as he flicks the key around.

I feel both their gazes turn back to me. Then they open their own doors before stepping out into the fresh country air.

  There's a feeling of nostalgia as I take in the property again, slowly drawing in a breath as I savor this moment. Everything...peaceful.

  Staring out the window a few seconds longer, I then regretfully look away, distastefully tugging the sling strap up and over my right shoulder I had laying in my lap during the drive.

  You can tell I'm not very fond of it.

  Fiddling with it a minute in hopes I might be able to make it not dig into the skin of my shoulder, I finally give up with a irritated eye roll before popping the door open with my right hand.

  That fresh air smacks me in the face, my lungs moving in a deep inhale as I greedily suck as much in as possible. Relishing just this small difference. Appreciating the clean air.

  Being stuck down under New York for seven weeks tends to do that to you.

  I immediately frown as my mind drifts off to unwanted memories, a clamp quickly snapping down over them. Quieting them for the moment.

I step down on the gravel ground, sliding the rest of me out before I place my other foot down beside my other. I hold my left arm up against my stomach, uncomfortably restrained in the stupid sling I'm forced to wear.

It's been two days. Isn't that long enough?

Walking around the truck towards where Lucy and Don wait for me over by the deck, my eyes unconsciously glance up towards the hill in the distance. The four small houses sticking out more than what I remember.

  Bill and Jack apparently still live and work here, and the dogs too. Excluding the one that was...killed when...you-know-what happened.

My chest tightens, and I look away. A breath of tense air blowing out from my mouth.

Take it one step at a time.

I walk up to Lucy and Don, both of them quietly observing me like they've been doing these last two days.

  Just like everyone else at the clinic. Just like when I was back at the other hospital. Everyone walking on eggshells around me. Afraid I might combust with one false move.