Little bit of grey in my day

Recap time! My fault, my fault, my fault... "Inej?"

Inej sighed softly relieved that he was awake, pressing the rag to the deeper of the cuts and watching sadly as it quickly took on the color of his dark blood. "Yes Kaz?" Inej said softly, as she ran the rough cloth along the 'x' Oomen hadn't been as precise as Kaz. The X was uneven, deeply cut into his shoulder and after the point where they met, he made the cut less deep. "You-r suppose to be out at sea?" He muttered, his eye squinting in confusion and pain. Inej nodded, leaving his side for a minute to go get a new bucket of water. "Yes... I came back because I missed it all... this place, its secrets, our group of friends... you. It's not the same anymore... Matthias is gone and now it feels like the city doesn't really want me here." "That's how you know you belong... it attacks you..." Kaz hummed hoarsely. Inej smiled sadly down at him. "It reminds me of the ocean..." she agreed, looking around for something to actually help bandage him. "How-how'd you find me?" He asked, he seemed frustrated for some reason. "I followed Oomen. He was- claiming he killed you at the crow club." Inej said after a moments hesitation she couldn't tell if Kaz caught it but he just remained quiet and  his eye closed halfway they sat in silence as Inej finished bandaging him up.

"Alright... it's the best I can do. I don't know much of anything on wounds and it looks like these ones won't just go away... perhaps I could bring a healer?" Inej asked, she quickly cursed herself for asking him. Kaz wasn't her boss anymore, she knew what his answer would be and it was foolish question anyway. "No... if they think I've had a weak moment... I'll be ruined." Kaz stated plainly. Inej shook her head with a sigh. "Kaz- you work harder than any of them, half of them are soft merchers! Your allowed to be human..." he looked at her, his eye glittering dully. "My answer remains, they get to have a family, an easy life... because they have ties, roots to fall back onto. Nobody knows who I am... who I was- therefore they fight harder to eradicate my existence because nobody would care... most would be glad I'm gone. I can't have any of that because of who I have to be to survive...." he spoke barely above a whisper. "You should sleep." Inej replied, in hopes of distracting herself from the truths Kaz had just half-hazardly dug up. "Here?" He croaked, raising an eyebrow. Inej looked around, her eyes narrowing at Oomen's body. "Unfortunately, yes. Your too hurt to move and because your a stubborn ass and won't accept help, you have to stay here, for now. When your better in a day or two... we can move to a close safe house or something." Inej growled, she thought she saw the barest hint of a smile, a flash of teeth but she couldn't be sure. "Alright Wraith... don't get huffy. Just a question." He hummed Inej glared at him but he just shrugged it off. Inej stood and went to dispose of the body.

She returned to find Kaz asleep on the floor, he looked peaceful as he curled up in the corner. Inej smiled at him, surprised a bit at how quickly he had fallen asleep. He cracked one eye open as she came closer. Inej gently reached in Kaz's gloved hand which was frozen stiff. She pulled his eye gently away from him, Kaz shivered at the idea of his own eye, in his hand now in hers. He was surprised when she didn't gag or even shiver as she took it and placed it on the counter, unsure of what to really do with it. She returned to his side. He shifted to let her know he was conscious. "If I had been here..." she muttered, staring at his eye. "It wouldn't have mattered. I should have been able to handle myself in that fight..." he growled. Inej merely sighed, touching his hair lightly he seemed stunned but not repulsive at the gesture. "Still. We can finish this conversation tomorrow... go to sleep." He grumbled but quickly fell asleep.

Sorry about the crappy chapter! I just know that updates have been slow. I'm trying to update a lot of stories at once while generating new ideas... so sorry you guys... have a best of day as you can?