The enemy

Kaz woke to a cage. He felt sick, could scent the lightning and metallic blood leaking off of... none other than what Kaz had been running from. Kaz bristled as he noticed his make shift family around him, bodies laid out inside the cell. Bruised flesh and blood, too much- he could already taste the rust in his mouth. "Kaz- where are we?" Inej hissed, sitting up and rubbing her head. "Mmmyyyy domain." Croaked the outline in the shadows. Kaz felt the air around his head go stale at his words, felt pulled toward it and his blood boiling. Several moans rose up like a wave as they awake and Kaz tried to remain calm.

"Now that your all awake.... point me to the fox blood." Everyone shared confused looks. "What do you mean." "I can feel it!" The outline launched and slammed into the cage, moist white hands with a layer of slick film clinging to his skin grabbing at empty air, his face a white mask with no features other than a circle with teeth and beady black eyes that bored deep into the soul. "I- I can feeeelll.... the blood- warm and salty- oh yes, fluctuating with every frantic beat of heart." Inej pulled Kaz closer, shivering. He felt his heart pang with guilt. Worry. "Ahhhh..... I suppose that I should come clean to you first. Ifff that's what you want from me, your higghhness." He hissed, spittle flinging onto the cage. Kaz looked around the room. Nina was encircled by the corner in the back, a wall on either side. Beside her was Wylan and Jesper, Wylan standing in front of him and Jesper trying to find a way to protect them both. Shooting frantic looks at Kaz. The creature walked along the cage, his hands grabbing at the bars like he needed them to stand, and he paced as words flung from the hole in his face.

"After the accident with your parents, I was devastated to find the last of the bloodline had vanished before my very eyes... In fact, I was so mad I shot myself back in time and destroyed a sacred ash tree on Fjerdan land, and blamed it on the Ravkans. I always hungered for your older siblings blood... but he was immature and foolish, you didn't seem so bright at your age. But I can sense the change..." the voice changed octaves. "Oh yes... then I sent spies to find you- Tante Haleen came so close, a junior parasite looking forward to finding a pure blood to feed on. While at it I traced your line of thought, I realize who you would want on your side. Wylan's hired men who tried to kill him- Jesper's brawlers and gambling addicts coming after him... Inej's shadowy men willing to pay for an hour. Oh yes- all mine. Face it, young prince. You brought all of their pain upon them.... now you have the chance to spare them. Stop running, stop fighting. Take your place and let me offer you my service and might." He hummed, Kaz shook. "What the hell is going on!" Jesper howled, anger in his voice.

"Silence!" It spat. "Kaz..." "Inej go over by Nina." He muttered, lowering his head so it brushed hers. Inej felt confusion and fear freezing her, she didn't want to leave him. "What?..." "dear, you didn't know? That the boy you love can change form, that he comes from royal blood- that has been hunted for generations and more to come." The being cackled and Kaz gave a rough snarl. "Inej. Go." Inej did as told and scampered over to Nina but watched with fear as Kaz stood toward the parasite. "If we struck a deal-" "-no harm shall come to them." Kaz closed his eyes, the thing grinned. "Kaz. Don't." A small considering pause, then Kaz nodded. "Deal." The parasite didn't use the door, it ripped the cage wall off, grabbing at Kaz who rolled away and into the larger open area. The creature chuckled as it moved forward in a strutting manner, its moist skin sparkling in the dark. "They say foxes are some of the easiest of the changing blood to deal with. But they're a lot more trouble, almost more than their worth." "I'd prefer to be left alone, yes." Kaz spat back, the creature only huffed. The tips of Kaz's hair started to turn red, only Inej noticed. "I DONT ASK MUCH!" The creature bellowed, leaping forward and catching hold of Kaz, slamming him into the wall and not choking him but having a choke hold. "Blood.., not enough to kill you. Just a bit every day.... to keep me alive and well... you have the most powerful of specialized humans and you can't even see what's good about that? I can stop a war, keep your loved ones safe. I can go back in time... all for you, my young master. And you won't even give me a droplet of blood." "Try a bucket, you worthless leech.." Kaz snapped, grinding his now pointy teeth. "Ha... just like your mother. Quick at the tongue and sharp at the mind, I wonder if your blood tastes like hers..." he hissed, in a breathy whisper. Kaz reared up, red shooting through his hair and his bones cracking as he simultaneously changed into a small fox, green eyes glowing fiercely in hate. "Don't like it when I talk about your family?? About how they served me well for years." "You used them!" "THEY RAN!!! YOur father betrayed me... left me to die in hopes of stealing his wife and sons to a better life, without me. Didn't quite go according to plan did it?" Kaz snarled, stalking forward. "You would have killed them anyway. In favor for a fresher supply." "Face it, young master. Your blood, your mind and heart. You belong to me, ever since I got your blood the first day you were born you have been mine." Kaz stilled for a minute, and the creature got on its knees.