Chapter 66 - In which Fred plays Cupid

Start from the beginning

"Woah woah woah," Fred says walking in, as I mentally add him to my list. As much as I'm annoyed with the interruption, my anger is misplaced. I wish it was his brother walking in to check on me instead of him. 

He takes a second to survey the situation before taking a seat on the far end. 

"Reparo," he says calmly as the fragments come together to resemble a bowl again. 

"What are you doing?" I demand, my irritation leaking into my voice. He ignores my question as he does the same with the glass.

"Go on, smash it again," Fred says ignoring me. "I'm being serious Lily, just do it." 

Wrinkling my nose, I lean over and pick up the newly fixed bowl. Using all my force, I throw it at the floor again. Glancing up at Fred, he just smiles at me as he repairs the bowl again. This weird form of therapy continues for at least another half an hour where I break all the dishes and Fred repairs them for me. My list continues and soon I find that I'm adding pretty much anyone I've met to it. Dumbledore, Malfoy, Greyback, Mrs Weasley for trusting me again, Ginny for allowing me to fall for her brother again, Potter for being the stupid Chosen One

But most of all, I'm angry with myself. This is my fault. George is broken because of me. I tried to protect him and now he's broken. If only I could go back and change everything. 

Would you actually change anything?

The scary answer is that I don't know. A part of me prefers the fact that George knows everything. There's nothing to hide anymore. No more lying. I just hate that it's come at the cost of my best friend.

"I can't d-" I say pausing for a second, playing with the plate in my hands. Fred glances at me with his eyebrows raised as if he's waiting for me to continue. Funny, he wasn't so willing to listen to me for the past couple of days. Whatever has changed, I'm grateful. I'd much rather have Fred as a mediator than an enemy like last year. 

"Is he okay?"

"He's o-"

"Don't lie to me, please." My voice is barely audible as I blink away the tears in my eyes. For Merlin's sake, be strong Lily

"He's going to be okay," Fred says sighing as he leans forward. "It was really hard for him to understand everything that happened, how you... you know," Fred gestures as he leaves the rest unspoken.

"Yeah," I say miserably as I slam another plate against the floor. The sound no longer gives me any satisfaction, but I pick up the next dish anyways. Everything is broken. Except unlike this stupid plate, there is no quick spell to fix it. 

"Why aren't you angry with me then?" I ask as Fred repairs the latest victim. 

"I was for a while," he admits as he stands up. "But then I thought about it. I mean everything made more sense. Why you left him that summer, why you kept your distance, it all sort of fell into place." Fred takes another step towards me tentatively as if he's scared I'm going to throw something at him. 

"So I took a second to think about who you are, who do I know you to be and it suddenly didn't seem so black and white," he continues with a glance behind him as if he expects George to come bursting in any second. 

"I remembered how upset you were about Snape, how you felt like he betrayed you," Fred says softly as I take an involuntary gasp at his name. "You cared about and respected Dumbledore just as much as all of us."

"He told me about my father," I say in a low voice, feeling the need to explain myself, as Fred just gives me a calculating look. 

"I don't know what your motives are to choose You-Know-Who, but it would be stupid to think that you were pretending the whole time. No one can do that. And when Geo- I mean when he told me about what happened, it sounded a lot like you were trying to protect him. So you're good in my books," Fred says as he closes the gap between us and presses another glass in my hand.