Prologue

I trudged through the vast Abandoned Mine of Darksteel, a place where the dwarves used to mine the darksteel ores to make weapons or sell them in the marketplace. My footsteps echoed through the gigantic mine shaft while my heart thumped faster and faster with excitement that threatened to burst.

The Mine of Darksteel was lit with small torches that were attached to the rocky walls. The light illuminated through the mine while making the place look more sinister. There were darksteel ores poking out of the walls, and they were glinting maliciously in the torchlight. There were other side tunnels that led to other parts of the mine, but I didn't enter them. Instead, I looked sideways whenever I trudged past them, looking for any signs of danger.

One time, I heard a sound coming from a side tunnel in front. I froze just for a moment, placing my shield in front of any attacks. But, only a bat flew out of the tunnel, its wings flapping while making some squeaking sounds. When the bat flew into another side tunnel behind me, I continued trudging through the mine while poised in a defensive posture with my short sword and my shield, preparing myself for a surprise attack. Because of that bat, my tension had gone higher.

My armor was badly damaged and my HP was down to 73%. My new short sword was now really badly dented. But at least I'd gained two levels and four bonus points. Still, I had to accomplish my goal.

If I succeed, I might not be teased or jeered at my school. But, if I fail—

I shook my head violently.  Rule number one: Don't even think about it.

"I can do it," I whispered to myself. "I can do it."

Suddenly, a big muscular gray orc wearing a big darksteel chest plate and a darksteel helm charged toward me from a side tunnel about a few feet in front of me. From the looks of it, this orc was a guard because the chest plate was ordinary looking, but had a green gem embedded in the center, which was a badge of an orc guard. It was holding a big brutal-looking double-headed battle axe with its both hands. It roared its mighty roar and brought down its massive battle axe toward my head. I held up my small and puny wooden shield just in time. The battle axe smashed into my shield, making my arm go numb.

By the force, I stumbled backward and almost fell, but I managed to keep my balance. I steadied myself and prepared for the next attack while putting my shield between it and me. The big orc swung its battle axe at me, but this time I dodged the battle axe by rolling directly in front of it and stabbed its right shoulder with my dented short sword.

Dark green blood oozed out of the orc's right shoulder as the blade got deeper. It howled loudly in agony and tried to pull my sword out of its shoulder with its left hand, but I slammed it with my shield, making the orc howl again. Then I knocked on its ugly face with my knee while not letting go of my sword. It howled again and punched my chest really hard. I stumbled back as pain exploded in my chest and pulled out my short sword out of the orc's shoulder in the process.

The orc swung its battle axe at me again, but this time it swung its axe with its left hand because of the damaged right shoulder. I back stepped and hacked at its left arm with my dented short sword. Green blood splattered everywhere in the mine shaft as my blade separated its skin and muscle fibers. The orc dropped the battle axe and cried out in pain.

That was my chance.

I plunged my dented short sword into a little gap of the darksteel chest plate. Its blood started to pour out of the little gap like a river of green water. The orc roared out loud with anger and pain while clutching the blade that was buried into its chest. I twisted my sword's hilt. I saw that the orc's HP was going down from 65% to 51%. Now the orc was stunned for a moment due to the shock of the critical hit.