25: The Engagement

June 2011

C H A P T E R   T W E N T Y   F I V E

T H E  E N G A G E M E N T

"Here I go again..."

"You look amazing as usual Katie."

"Thanks, but I know this isn't my best outfit. I don't think I can pull off the sleeves. I couldn't find anything else on time for the gala so this will just have to do."

"What? Of course you can, you look great."

Emily's words were no comfort to Katie, no matter how much she truly wanted them to be. She needed something to calm her down, she wasn't feeling the best and the fact that she had to be in such close proximity to Colin outside work for a couple of hours was beginning to make her feel like not turning up at all. She knew what to expect when she arrived at this gala but certainly could never prepare herself for what her eyes were about to set sight of: Olivia and Colin as a couple again for the first time since their breakup a few months ago.

"What's wrong?" Emily was worried about her friend and even took a few steps closer to give her a hug as she noticed how close Katie was to losing her composure.

"I-I don't think I can do it Em. I really don't." She could tell by the other woman's voice that she was crying in her arms just then.

"Oh Katie..." she held her friend at arm's length then and looked at her red eyes. "I know it's going to be tough for you, but you'll get through it. You're stronger than you think."

Emily had noticed over the past week how her friend's mood had taken a turn for the worst after that night she came home and told her of the news she'd heard about Colin getting back together with Olivia. As far as Emily knew, Katie and Colin had never addressed their break up fully, it had been over before it even began. Katie could barely even look at her boss before finding out about Olivia, and since her new discovery, she filled up with anger and jealousy mixed into one.

Katie was confused, she didn't know whether to be upset or furious. Work was certainly very complicated when you and your boss hated each other, but they really did try to be civil with each other despite Katie finding it the most difficult. Colin found work agonizing, every time he saw her face it never looked the way it used to be. Her smile and bright eyes had changed to an indifferent frown. She wasn't interested in work, she never turned up at his apartment to wake him up- although he had started again with all the partying so was usually late for work- and avoided talking to him unless essential.

Katie hadn't informed Colin yet that she was looking for a new job, she wanted to be sure about another job before she quit the one she had then. But moving from the company she was in was a must, especially since finding out about Colin's rekindled relationship, she felt so betrayed and couldn't work in such a tense and strained environment for much longer. She was stressed enough, trying to work for a man who barely showed up to work and this time around, Katie wasn't going to help him turn things around. She was sick of trying to make Colin understand that he needed to take work a little more serious, it wasn't up to her to make him get up out of bed every morning, she was just his assistant. This had taken her a long time to realise but she understood then.

Even after she took all these things into account, including the pain he had inflicted on her that she was still feeling, Katie still cared about him. This was why she was crying, this was why she was still so upset. The feelings still felt fresh, they hadn't dulled yet because she still liked him, she still cared and this tore her apart also. She knew she needed to get over him but it wasn't going to be easy.