3: The Decision

April 2009

C H A P T E R    T H R E E:

T H E    D E C I S I ON

There was a fussiness in Katie's stomach that she could not shake as she stepped off her train that morning. She was early, too early, but after a restless night she figured getting up and ready for work a half hour before she usually did would calm her a little.

It was the day Colin's father, Jeffrey, visited the company and inspected Katie's work so far. All she could think about was making a good impression in order to secure her job. She was surprised at how full the office was already when she stepped out of the elevator and onto her floor. What was not surprising at all to Katie, was Colin's absence.

Although he was supposed to be the CEO of this company, he certainly did not act like it. Katie had learned this in just over a week of working alongside him. He turned up to work late by over an hour most days and left early if he felt like it. Colin's lunch breaks, when he took them, were also much longer than anyone could possibly need for lunch but that was none of Katie's business.

Carrie would pester Colin a lot about his lack of time keeping but he would brush it off sweetly whenever she brought it up. Katie decided that having two women nagging at him about being late would be too much so she stayed away but still observed everything from afar.

Colin was expecting his father since the first day Katie started. He knew the exact day he would be coming for a visit, but his plans the night before did not coincide with his commitments the morning after, meaning he would have to prioritise his great night out partying over his meeting.

It was 9.15 when Carrie began to reassure Katie that this meeting was only going to be a casual one and that Jeffrey Anderson was as kind and well-mannered as his son. Her words did little to make Katie feel better but she only smiled at the older woman and thanked her for the advice given.

Once Jeffrey arrived, both women greeted him at reception. It did not take very long for him to ask the whereabouts of his son. Katie noticed how stern his expression was at the mention of Colin. But Carrie tried to make excuses for him, a failed attempt at covering up the real reasons he had for being twenty minutes late.

They decided to give Colin another ten minutes to turn up but then Jeffrey started the meeting with Katie alone.

"So, I'm glad to finally meet you Katie. Carrie seems to be a new woman with you around to help her."

"It's nice to meet you too Mr. Anderson." Katie shook his hand when he reached out for hers from across the table before he gave her a polite smile.

"Look Katie, I want to keep this meeting short and sweet. I'm aware that you're working great so far but I'm still a bit unsure about whether or not you're the best fit for the job. I mean, you have next to no experience, which is something vitally needed for this job. Something my son has forgotten about." Jeffrey said the last part more so to himself than Katie but she could not close her ears or unhear it.

"I understand Sir." She did not know how to react, was she getting fired already? Many things went through her mind then. "But I do think I am capable. I am dedicated and sure enough that I can say I will try my very best at whatever you ask of me in this job."

Katie could not tell them about her other job and all the experience she had there, because they were nothing but bad experiences. Her old boss's reference would have been as good as none, which is why she decided on the latter. Although she wanted to make Mr. Anderson aware of her experience in order to keep this job, Katie knew better.