13: The Talk

December 2009

C H A P T E R     T H I R T E E N:

T H E     T A L K

"Oh look, it's only nine thirty- you're in early." Katie said sarcastically as she looked at her watch and strolled into Colin's office.

"I know. I can't tell what's gotten into me at all today?" Colin replied, going along with the sarcasm. He took off his coat and hung it up before sitting down at his desk.

"I have these for you." She placed papers down on his desk which made him roll his eyes, already beginning to regret coming in today at all.

"When do you ever have good news for me?"

"Never." Katie said nonchalantly before adding, "Don't forget about the lunch meeting today. It's nice to see you in here almost on time- I was beginning to think you didn't even know a nine thirty even existed." She said in a witty tone as she walked out of his office and into hers, making a huge smile appear on his face before he laughed lightly. Then he let her words settle for a moment and immediately got up from his chair.

"Wait what? We have a lunch meeting? With who? For what?" Colin had already made a way into her office and looked down at her sitting at her desk.

"One question at a time please. Christ."

"Why so sassy?" He raised an eyebrow at her, his words forcing her to snort.

"When am I ever sassy?"

"There you go again, being sassy." Colin crossed his arms then.

"Whatever." She was the one rolling her eyes then. "I know you would be completely oblivious- as always- so I made this up for you." She took out a few pieces of paper stapled together from her drawer and handed it to him.

"What's this?"

"The details and things you need to know before our meeting later. Make sure you actually read them please Colin."

"It's almost like you're the boss here. Crazy." He said sarcastically.

"Someone has to run this place." She retorted as he left again.

"Watch your mouth Kate!" he called in a half-playful tone that made her chuckle.

"No can do sir!"

Katie busied herself for a couple of hours before her meeting although the time seemed to be going very slow. Colin had not made another appearance in her office until it was time for them both to go. She got her coat and the two set off out of the building to the restaurant where they were having their meeting.

Although it was a casual thing, Colin felt slightly nervous. Katie knew this was understandable, considering he never really cared for work and most likely did not know much about what the meeting was going to be about despite Katie giving him the notes earlier. She just wished things would get better and her boss would actually try to be interested in his job sooner rather than later.

Colin always knew how to wing things like this that were work related. Throughout the meeting, Katie took notes and watched as he kept up conversation, he was confident and calm despite the earlier nerves. The pair finished up early and said their goodbyes to the man they had the meeting with. They stayed in the restaurant to finish off their coffee and food.

"Eat up." She said, "We have got work to do when we get back."

"Okay, I get it Katie you don't need to keep telling me." Colin rolled his eyes at Katie's reminder.