1: The Interview

April 2009

C H A P T E R O N E:

T H E I N T E R V I E W

The cramped yet slender gardens zoomed past her as she looked out the window of the train, the many memories of her interview only an hour ago, whizzing in and out of her mind also. This would be her commute now, she thought about it for a moment and smiled to herself.

The morning had been a very strange one. She had woken up jobless, penniless and on her way to another interview which would only bring her more grief and misfortune. But this one was different from all the others, this day was different and she was loving it.

Right when everything seemed to be going wrong in her life, she got the call to come in for an interview which surprised her quite a bit. The meeting had gone better than expected, although Katie still felt the need to have her doubts- she had walked out with a job which sounded way too good to be true.

Views from outside the window swooshing before her eyes had become too much. Instead, she turned her head to face the seat in front of her and closed her eyes. She was surprised to find a pair of deep blue eyes that met her instead of darkness. Their stare was too powerful, her imagination playing tricks on her. She could not cope with the intensity of the reminiscence so instead, she opened her eyes again and blinked away the fresh memories.

Katie couldn't get her soon-to-be boss out of her mind and it was irritating. She would not make the same mistakes as she had last time. This job would be a serious one, she needed it badly and so, focusing solely on work was the only thing that should have been occupying her mind. But still, he lingered in her brain.

"I have just one question for you Ms. Briggs," Mr. Anderson paused for a moment, he had yet to look up from her resumé.  "Why apply for this job?" His strange and unexpected question took her by surprise, causing her to let out a laugh full of pure anxiety.

"Well, I guess it's always been my lifelong dream to be a PA." he could sense the humour behind her answer, it made a ghost of a smile tug onto his lips. "I reckon I would be good for the job Sir. I'm a very hard worker and once I put my mind to something, I will always do it." This time, she answered a little more seriously but it only made him sigh from across his desk at her, his eyes still glued to the piece of paper containing all her details in front of him.

"No... I mean why are you here? You're clearly over qualified for any job of this kind." This time after Mr. Anderson spoke he looked up and straight at Katie, his oceanic orbs searched hers for some indication of what she would say next. He noticed how she looked anywhere but at him then and sensed her obvious discomfort.

"I need the job." Katie said bluntly but then hesitated to say anything else.

"I-"

"I may be over qualified but I thought I would give it a shot. Every job I've went for that need my credentials have turned me down so I decided I'd try something else. Everyone starts somewhere don't they?" she blinked at him then, managing to keep eye contact. He seemed to be weighing things up, mulling over the interview in his mind for a moment while she sat in silence in the chair across from him.

"I admire your honesty Ms. Briggs." He nodded, clearly pleased with her answer. It made her feel something that she couldn't quite put her finger on, but it felt good. All Katie could do was nod slightly at him before giving him a small, shy smile in return for his friendly one.

They spoke for another while, Katie trying desperately to answer all of his questions correctly but she was weary and unsure of herself. He could sense it yet said nothing at all, only watched her body language and listened carefully to her answers. She was definitely not the best interviewer that day, but there was something about her that he couldn't quite put his finger on. He always liked to take chances and so, he decided she would become his next one.