14: The Discovery

January 2010

C H A P T E R    F O U R T E E N:

T H E   D I S C O V ER Y

Colin's words played over again and again in her mind, as if they were still fresh but it had been over three weeks and she still could not make up her mind. His lips lingered, the feel of him so close felt as if it was a ghost hanging over her. She felt like everything was right, when she left out the detail of him being her boss. She needed to make a decision but the pair had been busy over the holidays and Colin understood she needed some time.

Over the holidays had been quite lonely for her, she spent Christmas day with Em and her grandparents but decided to come home after that to their apartment alone. Everything had gone back to normal and soon enough it was January and the gala was near.

It was a Thursday night and Katie had come home late after getting the last of her things she needed for the gala. She fell onto the sofa with a sigh before kicking off her shoes and turning on the TV. Emily appeared from her room dressed for work and buzzing around their living room and kitchen.

"Hey Em. Looking for something?"

"I can't find my shoes anywhere." She complained as she began to look in the most unrealistic places she could in the apartment. "What's up?"

"Nothing, I'm just tired." Katie sighed as she stretched her legs then on the sofa.

"From all that shopping, I suppose." Her friend wiggled her eyebrows before she checked in the kitchen again. "Aha! I found them."

"Where were they?" she turned around on the sofa to look at her friend as she put on her shoes.

"On the floor at the sink. Did you find everything you were looking for?" Emily asked, being her chirpy self before she made her way back over to the sofa to look through Katie's bags she had brought home.

"Just about."

"Oh my god, those shoes are amazing."

"You like them?" Katie smiled at her friend.

"Of course, they'll suit your dress well. Maybe this time you'll actually be able to wear them for the whole night because you'll be given a seat." Emily had heard all about what happened at the Summer gala and was definitely not impressed with Katherine.

"Colin keeps trying to reassure me everything's going to be fine this time- I sure hope so."

"Have you been talking to him lately about- you know?" Emily put on her coat as she spoke before wrapping a scarf around her neck and fishing around in her pockets for her gloves.

Katie had told Emily about Colin's proposal, she was glad to have someone to talk to about it without feeling like she was being judged. Em was always a very understanding person, something Katie appreciated greatly over the years of their friendship, especially when disaster struck at Pierce Holdings.

"Not really. I'm still trying to decide what to do. I'm just so unsure Em. I don't want any rumours to start like back at my old job and the only thing that would make it worse this time round if Colin and I got together would be that they were true."

"Listen Katie, take your time. It's obviously a difficult decision to make. I'm sure you'll make the right one in the end."

"Thanks Em."

"No problem, I'll see you tomorrow okay?"

"Goodnight." Emily heard her say as she closed the apartment door behind her and headed off for work.