VIII. Game of Suspicion

Smith groaned angrily at both Eric and John when they asked him for an arrest warrant on Imam Rizwan. They had come to a conclusion for no matter they would back down before the chaos that could arise after the arrest. Smith acts like this often when he's asked for things like this.

'Sir, we also need one for William' Eric mentioned.

'Haven't I already told about him. This isn't a game. Now, go arrest that Hajji fucker and report to me everything he has to say' He threw the paper at Eric's corner of the table. It slid to fall when suddenly John picked it up. 'Yes, Sir' They both said at once and left the cabin.

'What if they come after you?' John wasn't sure if this would work as they planned. In any ways, people would burst out.

'I already am chased by a criminal, I've lived through that. These people won't destroy anything if the Imam tells them to. They are all dedicated to him in some kind of way'

'Better not make it worse. We could speak with him privately to untie this mess'

'That's what I have in mind'

(in the questioning room after the arrest)

'why was Luke Rampart calling you? How do you know him?' Eric asked. Smith was watching them in the next room separated by the dark glass.

'He came to me once a long time ago asking for food. I and my friends were talking outside the mosque. He greeted us first in our Islamic way. We thought he was a Muslim. And I took him inside and gave what he want because all Muslims are like our brother, you know' he stopped and tried to reach for his neck. 'can you please, it's itching me' Eric untangled him from the cuffs. He scratched gently under his beard.

'As I told you we thought he was one among us but he then told me he is a Christian. Later, after finishing his food, he thanked me and borrowed some cash. He told he wanted to get back home. He missed the bus he was travelling at a stop and he got robbed the way here. So, I gave him some cash and to make sure he reached his home I gave my number too. There must be a misunderstanding in this case. I had nothing to do with his call' He established his innocence and leaned back on his chair.

Smith, unusually let the Imam free after recording his story. Later that day Eric received an anonymous call. It said that three girls will be kidnapped and abused in the city itself. And the call ended with an evil laugh. It never said when. He felt it would be a prank. The whole city knows how messed up Eric's life was. It was time for Hassan to come back to the office. He called him and enquired for him. Farra answered the phone. Told he was in the shower and it would be better if he pulls over there.

Eric knocked at Hassan's door. 'Coming' Hassan grinned when he saw Eric through the peep-hole. 'How are you man, aren't you coming back to the office?'

'Yeah, I know. Care for some drink?' Hassan asked.

'yeah, just a little. Can I ask you something'

Hassan was in his bathrobe. Farra was asleep with Ridha. They usually sleep that way – mother and daughter. After the incident, they hadn't even slept together. When they think about having another child, they remember Nuhman and they starts to mourn.

'yeah, go on' Hassan sat on the sofa and handed a glass over Eric.

'After that bastard burned my house, I was afraid if I would loose my family. Can you come tomorrow itself? We could catch him before he does something grave'

'I've already thought about that. I'll surely come buddy, don't worry'

'And also. I just got a call threatening that three girls would be kidnapped and used in the city itself. I took for a prank' Eric whispered.

'If he said he will. But, we must stop him or he will leave three bodies in the river. It is such a shame that we couldn't find these people before the bodies hit the bank' He grumbled.

The next day, they both drove to Rick and William's. John accompanied them in his motor. Rick was surprised to see Hassan mostly. Three officers in his shop. Eric asked for William. He showed them to his office behind the shop. William was counting his income for the last day. He had arrived at Saints Field just a few days ago. They didn't come with a warrant, just a normal visit. He welcome them 'Hello there. What have I got here? Visitors? Best cops of Saints effin Field' He announced with a laughter. 'Mind your language, William' John said from behind. 'My bad, my bad' he mock bowed at them. 'Sit, sit. Be comfortable' William is an average height, bald man. Wrinkled face with a round face including pale blue eyes. He was wearing a beach shirt and a denim jeans. 'Seriously, why are you here?' he changed his tone.

'we got a call from an anonymous number. Threatened about kidnapping girls and raping them in the town. let's hope you know something about it' Hassan pointed out the situation.

'You know how the storm comes?' asked William 'at first it blows it wind slightly and then later it reigns the place and rains. Ha, it rhymes' He waved his hand pretending a little joy.

Eric banged his hand on the table and grabbed William by his collar and roared at his face 'If you play with our time, you won't see the sun again, see how this rhymes?' He pushed him back to his chair. William straightened his collar in silence and looked at Eric with one eye.

'So, we're not good here, huh?' he asked 'I said that stop fucking around here sucking your mama's titties and go to White Field for who the fuck you're looking for. I ain't got no shit going on here' He got furious and looked at John to see if comes at him for the language. Eric stopped John though. They made eye contacts and left the room.

Helena Miller, Rick's girl friend was outside talking to her boyfriend. She's also a bartender at William's bar. 'Hey Helena' John smiled at her while leaving the shop. She looked at him and frowned 'hey' she murmured. Rick wasn't fine with John stalking her. She was his ex after all.

'Why don't you come to the bar tonight, sweetie?' She asked Rick

'William's inside there. He shouldn't know. But let's go out this Friday' Rick was afraid of William with all the mafia stuff he was good with.

'I'll go talk to William' she said and went inside.

'Hey William, you got something for me?' she asked sitting on the chair on front of him, just where Eric was sitting.

'How much you want girl? 20 or 40?' He ignored what just happened and went for the drawer inside the cupboard. He took two packets of Cocaine and gave it to her, took out a pen and wrote it down on the book. She pays him at the end of every month when she gets paid. She uses drugs besides the fact that Rick doesn't. He doesn't like her taking it. He even hate his brother for selling them to her. But he doesn't know that William stores drugs in his room'

Eric and Hassan shared a table at MC's and had lunch. John went back on a case he was called for through the radio. They both looked outside and talked about their past and family. They also talked about their case with the calls. They wondered who would have killed Nuhman and burned Eric's house. If George wasn't the real person, who could be? They murmured about Smith and his closeness with William. They even suspected him for the murder and all that happened later. They felt like he was playing them. A game of treachery. They decided to watch Smith over his every actions. They decided to include Phil and John. The others cannot be trusted. They all receive payments from mafias around here.

*******