Dally's Jacket

I stared at the wall completely zoning out. I watched as the breeze came through whipping around dust bunnies and dead leaves. I just felt off...It's like one of those feelings you can't explain. Johnny noticed my sorrows immediately. He walked over and hopped on my lap.
"What's wrong?" He asked rapping his arms around my neck and pulling me to the floor.
"Nothing.." I said after I finally stopped laughing. Johnny and I laid on the floor together silently until Ponyboy came up behind us.
"Come on lovebirds..." he said kicking my head lightly.
"Ow!" I yelled grabbing my head even though his foot hardly touched me.
He immediately crouched down, "I'm so sorry! I-I didn't think I kicked you that h-"
My loud laughter caused Ponyboy to stop talking mid sentence. He frowned and walked away as Johnny and I giggled.
___________________________
We finally had the table set up and a few chairs dusted off. We hadn't had anything to eat yet so Johnny went off to buy some food with the money Dally lent us. Pony and I went out back and laid on the hill talking to one another. Ponyboy seemed so innocent and sweet but I knew he thought he was tough.

He told me about the sunsets. I told him about my mother. He told me about his parents. We talked back and forth about things. Things I hadn't talked about in years. And things he was too ashamed to talk about.
The sun slowly went down. Ponyboy and I sat there watching the golden colors stretch across the sky.
"Nothing gold can stay.." Ponyboy whispered to himself.
"What?" I asked turning to him.
He propped himself up so he could look me in the eye.
"Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay."
Ponyboy seemed to look right through me as he whispered a poem I could barely hear.
"Robert Frost?" I asked scooting closer to him.
"I learned that poem a while back. I still don't quite understand it." He said smiling. This was the first real smile I had seen on his face.
I placed my head on Pony's shoulder and watched as the sun set. Slowly turning from gold to orange. And then fading away until it left a pink tint to the navy blue sky.
Pony's smile faded as we heard the crunching of footsteps. I had forgotten that Johnny had gone to get groceries.
Pony and I quickly hid in an opening under the church floor boards. As Johnny came by Pony and I jumped out at the same time causing our heads to clunk together.
Johnny simply laughed as I groaned holding on to the side of my head. I had hit the same spot at the party Dal was at.
Johnny couldn't stop laughing as he helped us up from the grass.
"So was your plan to scare me or to give each other a concussion?" Johnny asked placing everything out on the table.
Life had become so boring and it had only been a day. Thank god I wasn't here alone. At least I had Johnny and Pony.
(And Dally's jacket.)