Keegan was the bad boy-attractive: he smirked, he sneered and looked – well, rather dangerous. I didn’t know anything about this boy’s past but I was pretty sure he’d been arrested. He was the type to get drunk in a pub and then get into a fight. His demeanor made him look a few years older; maybe even a few inches taller. Funny how the way you acted could mess with the perception of the way you looked - Keegan was a bit shorter than his roommate, yet he was far more imposing.

Skyler was the club party type. He’d dress up, make sure his hair appeared naturally messy and then he’d go out to dance. He’d get a few drinks but I doubted he often went anywhere beyond tipsy. And he’d avoid a fight. I was sure he’d try to talk his way out of a quarrel, probably by trying to make the other person laugh. I didn’t see him as a coward though; just as someone who disapproved of violence. Boyish charms – that was the phrase that suited him best. A good-looking teen with child-like or maybe even childish behavior; yet it made him more attractive… if you were into that.

“How did you know what a Jean Lafitte was?” Beth asked and I turned to my left to where she was seated between me and her boyfriend. There was a glass of soda before her. Apparently Caden’s ‘gang’ as he called them had ordered drinks while I’d been busy enlisting the difference between the two single boys.

“I used to work as a bartender,” I replied, taking a sip of my own drink. “Isn’t it time to order some food as well?”

They all nodded and re-examined the menus before them while I quietly sighed in relied. I hoped they didn’t notice my attempt to change the topic; my memories of bartending days were not always pleasant due to a certain guy who could not take no for an answer.

Once I’d made my choice about the food, I glanced up to get our waiter’s attention. As I did so, a man, perhaps around thirty, passed me by and sat on the empty bar stool next to the brunette with the beige dress. She smiled radiantly at him before they kissed.

So that’s who you’d been waiting for, I silently mused, remembering how often she’d been checking the time on her phone. He’d made you wait, no doubt about that; you’d been here longer than me and you’d already looked agitated when I arrived.

The woman’s eyes turned to her drink and her companion – also a brunet but in a black suit with a white shirt – took this opportunity to aim his gaze my way.

I rolled my eyes as he smirked and nodded.

He’d not only made his date wait for him but now he was flirting with a total stranger!

I waved at the waiter to come and we placed our orders while I did my best to avoid the gaze of the guy in the fancy suit. I was pleasantly surprised to see Beth with her slim figure order a large amount of food.

I’d never approved of diets. Exercise, and exercise alone, was the only healthy way to lose the extra pounds.

“That dude at the bar keeps looking at you,” she murmured through a bite soon after we got our pizzas.

“I know; I try to avoid him though,” I replied without bothering to hide my irritation.

“His chick seems pretty pissed,” the blonde went on.

“What?”

I turned around and sure enough the girl with the beige dress was throwing death glares at me.

How was it my fault that her man found me attractive?

I had not attempted anything to get his attention. Quite the opposite: I was giving him the cold shoulder ever since he entered.