Chapter 2- The Mountain Pass

Start from the beginning

--

The Fellowship began their ascent, following in a line behind Gandalf. Amara walked close behind Aragorn at the back of the group. Up ahead, Frodo struggled to pick his feet up over the deep snow. He stumbled and fell, rolling down the mountain. Aragorn stopped him from going any further.

The ranger pulled the hobbit up as Amara caught up and brushed some snow off of him. Frodo does the same as they both realize something is missing. Amara's eyes move back up the mountain to Boromir, who bends down and picks up the chain that dangled the ring dangled from.

"Boromir." Aragorn warned.

"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing."  He is mesmerised by it, his eyes fixed only on the ring. "such a little thing..." He raises his hand to touch the Ring dangling on the chain.

"Boromir!" Amara snaps, stepping closer to the man, her hand gripping one of her throwing knives. Boromir abruptly stops, halted from his isolation.

"Give the Ring to Frodo." Aragorn said. Boromir walks to a worried Frodo and holds out the Ring. Frodo snatches it from him.

"As you wish! I care not." He grins, looking from Aragorn to Amara, then  laughs and ruffles Frodo's hair, before walking off.

Aragorn stares after him and releases his grip on his sword. Amara kept her hand in the knife and they continued their climb.

The Fellowship struggle around the side of the mountain, through deep snow, strong winds and heavy snowfall.

The hobbits were being carried by Aragorn and Boromir who were thigh deep in the snow, Legolas lightly walks across the snow past them to the head of the line. He listens as he hears echos on the wind. Amara walks up behind him, but stops at Aragorn and takes Frodo from him, picking the hobbit up out of the snow and wrapping him in her cloak.

"We're nearly there." She whispered to the near frozen hobbit.

"Cuiva nwalca Carnirasse; nai yarvaxea rasselya!" {Wake up cruel Redhorn! May your horn be bloodstained!} Amara's ears twitch at the faint voice coming through the shouting winds.

"There is a fell voice on the air." Legolas states.

"It's Saruman!" Gandalf shouted.

 The Mountain cracks above them and rocks begin to fall. Amara jumps out of the way, the rocks narrowly missing her and Frodo.

"He's trying to bring down the mountain! Gandalf! We must turn back!" Aragorn shouted over the wind.

"Gandalf, we can't take much more of this! Not now that Saruman is fighting against us!" Amara yelled.

"No!" The stubborn wizard shouted back before stepping out to the edge of the path. "Losto Caradhras, sedho, hodo, nuitho i 'ruith!" {Sleep, Caradhras, be still, lie still, hold your wrath!}

"Cuiva nwalca Carnirasse; Nai yarvaxea rasselya; taltuva notto-carinnar!" {Wake up cruel Redhorn! May your bloodstained horn fall upon enemy heads!}

Lightning strikes just above the Fellowship, casting an avalanche of snow upon them. Amara feels Frodo fall from her arms as they are both buried and crushed by the heavy snow. Moments later Legolas emerges from the snow, shaking the snow from his hair. Looking around, he sees no one. Amara was next, letting out a gasp of air as her head popped out of the snow. Slowly everyone else emerged, shivering violently.

As soon as Frodo appeared, Amara wrapped him up in her cloak again, giving what little warmth she had and giving it to him.

"We must get off the mountain! Make for the Gap of Rohan and take the west road to my city!" Boromir shouted over the howling wind.