Little Child

Chapter 24: Little Child

9 Sept 1965

Well I've been in the hospital for 9 days since Zak was born. My little boy's nine days old, it's hard to believe. I've loved these past days that I've had with him. I was so proud when they handed me his birth certificate. Zak Nicholas Starkey, born 1 Sept 1965 at 6:37p.m. 6 pounds, 2 ounces, 21 inches long. Ritchie and I can't get over how proud we are. Little Zak is just perfect. Everyday he's looking more and more like his father, the baby blue eyes are just what set everything off. Other than that I've been recovering from my c-section rather well, I'm still a little sore and tired, but I'm getting better all the time.

Ritchie had just arrived here a little bit ago and we're getting everything ready for us to bring Zak home. Words gotten out that I'm leaving so of course all of the press and the fans are surrounding the hospital. Apparently everyone wants the first look at the second Beatle child to be born. My little Zak's not even a month old and he's already attracting the news. This is all just insane.

"Love, you ready to head out? The car's up front?"

I had just finished wrapping Zak in the little blue blanket that my brother had bought for the baby, on the corner of the blanket it had 'Zak Nicholas' sewn on it. It was the perfect gift. "We're ready when you are."

Ritchie smiled and looked at little Zak in my arms. "There's so many people out there to see you little boy, so be ready."

I let out a grin and the three of us made our way out of my hospital room, down the hallway and eventually down to the front of the hospital. I looked outside and saw all people out there waiting for us. Ritchie turned to me. "Are you ready to head out there?"

"Ready as I'll ever be."

And with that we walked outside. Automatically we were stopped by the press.

"Ringo, so this is your new son?"

Ritchie nodded. "It is. This is our boy Zak Nicholas Starkey."

The man interviewing us nodded. "Congratulations both of you. Now Ringo, how does it feel finally being a father?"

"It's fab being a dad. I've never been more proud in my life."

The man smiled and turned to me. "Now to you Mrs. Starkey, how does it feel being a mother?"

I smiled and looked down at little Zak, then back to the reporter. "I love it. I'm just so happy that he's finally here, it's hard to put it into words."

The man smiled then Ritchie leaned over to me. He moved his hand and ran one of his fingers across Zak's cheek. As soon as he did that the baby started cooing, it was so cute.

"So out of the both of you who do you think Zak looks the most like?"

I looked over to the man. "Ritchie, definitely. Zak has his blue eyes and his nose, but he kind of looks like me in the face."

Ritchie smiled and kissed me. "But of course he has the McCartney eyelashes. He'll be a little pretty boy just like his Uncle Paul."

"Well thank you both for your time, we'll let you get home, but first may we get some photos of the new family?"

Ritchie and I both nodded and with that all of the photographers came over and started talking pictures of us. After a few minutes we ended that and got in the car. Ritchie had chosen for us to leave in our Roll Royce, apparently he wanted Zak to leave in style. The three of us had gotten situated in the car and with that the driver drove us home.

Ritchie leaned his head on my shoulder and looked down at Zak. "You're finally coming home little boy, everything's ready for you."

I smiled and elevated Zak more. "Do you want to hold him Ritchie?"