It takes a few more minutes of persuasion but eventually, Mick agrees to my plan. Seeing as our nearest and dearest had almost overstayed their welcome, Mick was going to suggest that the men- minus Sam- go to the pub just down the road for some congratulatory drinks and the women would be sent on a wild goose chase in search of a baby product that does not exist. Sam, meanwhile, would take Martha out somewhere. That would buy me enough time to chill with Sera. 

Walking back towards the family room, I enter to find Seraphina being passed to the next person, who just so happened to be my father. Dad looked at his granddaughter as if she had put stars in the sky, or as if she was a new species that he was entirely enthralled with. His smile was fixed as he took her in, holding her safely in his arms. Earlier, I had seen my mother doing the exact same thing but for some reason, seeing Dad do this was different. Perhaps it was because Dad never really struck me as a baby person. When we were younger, it was always Mum that was around while Dad was in and out, a peripheral character that we saw once in a while. There's no question that Dad loves us all and he cares enormously for each of his children but I've rarely seen him go gaga over a baby. 

Seraphina was going to be one spoilt little girl. She already had her grandfather wrapped around her little finger and the way she stared at him told me that their bond would be unbreakable in the future. 

It didn't go unnoticed from everyone else. Isaac was already grumbling about how he's been usurped as the main man in Sera's life and Mum kept cooing over the way Dad was being with Sera. My sister's kept stating that they couldn't wait until they have children- cue the knowing looks that they sent to their respective husbands- and Lucas was constantly taking photos of the youngest Delaney clan member. He was thrilled that he would no longer be known as the baby of the family. 

"I know this is early to ask, but when will baby number two makes its debut?" Dad asks, never once looking away from Sera. He was the only one, apart from Martha, who hadn't scrunched their nose up at the name Isaac and I had bestowed on our daughter. In fact, he was already planning on having a tattoo to commemorate her. Mum went ballistic when she heard his plan. "I'm not rushing you or anything but you two make such gorgeous babies that it would be a shame to stop at one."

Not knowing how to answer his question, I attempt to change the subject, stating that it was probably time to change Sera's nappy. It didn't work, however, because Dad assured me that she was perfectly content. Perhaps she needed feeding? No, Isaac told me. Her next feed wasn't for another hour. Could it be time for a nap? Impossible, Martha shook her head. Sera had only been awake for two hours and it would be another two before she'll want to sleep again. 

"Well, maybe she'd like her mother to hold her?" I sarcastically say. When everyone laughed and told me that I spent more than enough time with Sera and they wanted to bond with her too, I almost went on a killing spree. Luckily, I managed to contain most of my anger. Some, however, spilt over the edges. Marching over to Dad, I held my arms out until he handed the baby to me and then proceeded to walk out of the family room. I heard footsteps behind me but I didn't care enough to look over my shoulder. I could guess who it would be anyway. "I'm going upstairs with my daughter and if you follow me, you'll be sleeping in the spare room tonight."

"Charlotte-" Isaac starts to argue with me. It was never a good sign that he uses my full name but I couldn't care less at this moment. I spin on my heels and glare at him. Suddenly, he stops in his tracks and holds his hands up. "Ok, fine, off you go. But-"

"But what?" I prompt him, frustration filling my words. I know I'm being mean but I don't care at this point. "I am more than capable of looking after her. I know there are things I'm not allowed to do and what-not but I can care for our daughter, Isaac. If I want or need help, I know to ask for it but please do not assume that I am hopeless and helpless. You're making me feel like I'm a failure. Let me look after her. Please."