Chapter 9

RECAP:

As I'm about to step into the ladies room, I notice a man leaning against the door frame, arms crossed, observing me.

I attempt to ignore him, but he steps in front of me.

"Can I help you?" I almost huff in frustration, because I couldn't be bothered to deal with him.

"No." He smiles at me, a smile that scared me. "But I can help you."

His words undeniably intrigued me, but then I realised he would have nothing that I could want.

"Look, I just want to use the bathroom." I try to dodge him, but this time he holds onto my arm. I was ready to scream for Alex right there, until he whispers in my ear.

"I know what you're here for, darling."

May I present the long awaited (but a bit short- sorry!) chapter 9)

Yeah, to pee, my sarcastic inner self instantly screams at him. But behind that, I knew I was subconsciously protecting my mind from the truth; that he knows something.

He knows what? This was the only thing running through my mind right now; my face hardens and my glance is frozen, focussed on the eyes of the man that just spoke to me.

When he realises that he's fully gained my attention, he lets go of my arm.

"Yes. I'm here to win some money and hurt a few egos." I say in a low and balanced tone.

"And to see a particular Alpha die?" He asks, his voice composed with a hint of humour.

My heart drops.

The only thing I could think about at this point was the identity of the man in front of me. How would he know? Surely he knows me... But where from?

"I knew your father, Miss Spencer." He whispers, putting proud emphasis on my surname - a trophy. "And I have waited a long time for you to realise you want your vengeance."

My heart was pounding even louder and I was sure he could hear it. This wasn't a bluff that I was used to - this was a man who knew exactly who I was and what I was planning. Nobody knew - except Maisy of course - so how could he?

For once in my life I felt helpless and weak. I had no idea what to do in the situation I was in; no instant cocky remark or an already thoroughly thought through action plan. It wasn't like me at all.

"Like I said, I came here to win money... And use the bathroom." I say in a quiet but deadly tone. I couldn't really deny the truth in his words in front of him right now, he was right and he knew it. My face gave it all away, but at the same time I wouldn't admit to anything either.

"I heard you the first time." He nods at me. "But you know I'm right, so when the time comes that you're struggling to accomplish what you're here for, get in touch with me and I'll make sure he pays for what he has done."

He slips a note in my hand with that, he disappears into the crowd of people in a swift walk that seems too fast to be real.

I decide against going into the bathroom - all the water in my bladder seemed to have disappeared off to somewhere - right now I just needed to get out of here. So I turn on my heel and walk in the opposite direction of the man I just encountered. As I walked, my curiosity led me to open up the little piece of paper that he left me with. It was a phone number. No name, just a line of numbers.