Prologue

In the POV of Alexander...

"You need a mate." States Remi, bluntly.

It was the type of sentence that didn't allow any leeway, coming from a woman that didn't allow any leeway either.

With my oldest brother's mate, and his pack's Luna, it was either, or. More specifically - either you agreed with her and were right, or didn't and were wrong. The hardest part to accept was that this wasn't a hypothetical allegation; it was unfortunately accurate ninety-nine percent of the time.

It's partly what made her an ideal Luna, and best friend.

So basically, when Remington says I need a mate... I need a mate.

Well, thanks to the Gods for that one percent of the time that she was wrong, because this very moment was one of those exceptionally rare times that she was just explicitly wrong.

Ironically, this one claim is what makes up the whole one percent because I've heard it over a thousand times over the time I have known her for, making my stats very unreplicable, I must say.

"Same old talk, again." I point out, sitting comfortably on their expensive sofa whilst putting my feet up.

Both her and Daniel scowl at me at the same time, for two different reasons. Remi for putting my feet up with shoes on, Daniel for stressing his pregnant mate out about it.

I also made a deal with him to agree with her on everything - or most things, as a compromise - for the same reason.

The only thing he cares about lately is that baby, understandably, yet weirdly. The girl changed my ruthless brother into a respectable gentleman, for which I do admire her for.

Lorenzo (the other pride and joy of our family) says he's just what he calls 'whipped', but nobody asks him for his opinion anyway. Over time you learn it's not very relevant in any circumstance.

Obviously Daniel is no angel, his dark side is something that still makes an appearance from time to time, but usually only when needed. Only on criminals and for good reason.

"Same old answer, again." She rolls her eyes at me. "You're not all grey yet, Alex. I know that, you've still got time. But it's the fact that you don't want to find her that worries me, you know? I feel like you'd even do something stupid, like reject her or something when you do finally meet her."

"Don't give him any ideas." Daniel joins in.

"You know how I feel about mates, Rem." I sigh, ignoring my brother's comment. Out of all the people, she was the most informed in that genre.

I was strongly against the idea. For me, it seemed like fate paired you up with someone else and you get no say in it. You're blinded to love a girl you probably would have never looked twice at otherwise, and all you emotions - until built over time - are just fake.

A result of a biological equation.

Did I want to find love? Maybe. But I knew for a fact I didn't want to be assigned to spend my life with someone who was not worthy of my feelings.

I wanted the real deal, or nothing at all.

Obviously Remington disagreed with me, saying fate pairs you with someone designed for you, perfect for you, yada yada.

"Even Enzo has a mate, and that says a lot." Daniel joined in being a hound in the chase where I'm the fox. Even my sister, Alice isn't here to save me from this hunt; she found her mate and wandered off somewhere.

This whole mate business seems to be a common thing.

That was true though, my twin brother - even though the least likely out of us all to live a normal life with a mate and no trouble - found himself a girl. I mean, I would hardly call living in some other pack on a usual rank with a mate and child a normal Anderson brother life, but his sacrifices of his old rogue habits are quite admirable.

Nevertheless, I'm glad we're not identical, or I would have possibly inherited a little more than the same looks as him.

"Alright." My brother's mate speaks up again, after some obvious thought.

I hope for a moment that she gave up, since her tone of voice hinted so. But I know my friend too well, so I'm only left thinking about what my next ultimatum will be.

"How about we make a deal." She pauses, looking for a reaction. "I think you need to at least try finding her, and your opinions are the way they are only because you're so against it and haven't done so yet." She starts pacing around the room.

I knew what this meant. She was going to propose something I wouldn't agree with.

"I will find you a mate, or at least someone you can be mated to. I will personally search for and invite girls around a few close countries, from many packs. You will get a chance to meet them and get to know them, I'm sure there will be many takers." She says the very last part with humour in her voice. She found it funny how so many girls knew about me and my story behind earning my title, and went crazy over it.

Even though she does admit that overthrowing an existing Alpha is rather impressive, especially to young she wolves.

I felt like most didn't know my reasoning behind it, and did not think twice about it either though which was only indicating their true intentions.

Yet another reason to not look for a mate.

"If after the end of this all, you don't find her..." She pauses and lets a deep breath out. "Then I will stop bothering you about it and leave you to be this single leader of your pack you desperately want to stay as."

A chuckle leaves my lips paired with a grin on my face. I don't know what it was I found funny; maybe the idea of my best friend never moaning about my attitude to love ever again seemed too good to be true, but it wasn't an idea I was absolutely against.

This could be fun.

I nod my head, slowly glancing up at my brother and Remi. He seemed confident and amused as he sits back comfortably, whereas she on the other hand awaited a clearer response to her idea.

"Alright." I agree, instantly seeing Daniel's smug expression turn into utter shock, while his mate's lips curve into a smile.

"But under one condition." I point my index finger up to accompany my words. "I don't find out if any of them are my mate, I don't want it to blind my judgement. I only see if any of the girls there are close enough to one." I set my conditions.

The look on both of their faces instantly exposes their perplexed thoughts.

"How?" Remi naturally furrows her brows. "You'll obviously know if one of them is your mate if you make eye contact. What are you going to do? Wear dark sunglasses around the house?"

"I have my ways."