Chapter 4

In the POV of Alexander...

"What the hell is that deer head doing above my own head?"

Anything Remi said today was a blur. Tonight we had a 'small gathering', a formal event held at my pack house with the few girls that Remington found for me.

Well... Not only Remington. Alice and Enzo were in on it too, which only concerned me - especially considering the latter sibling was involved.

"It's hanging." I answer, taking a drink of the vodka mixture I had. This whole thing was giving me a headache.

"In the same room you eat?" She cringes, staring from it, to me.

"Reality check; you're a werewolf, Rem. That shouldn't disgust you." I grin, raising a brow since in the wild, it's what wolves hunt. Maybe it was her pregnancy hormones that made her this much more entertaining - but conversations with her often were the highlight of my day.

"Everything disgusts me and makes me feel sick right now." She subconsciously places her hand on her stomach that was only beginning to show the signs of pregnancy.

"Well, if someone kept their dick in their pants you wouldn't be in this situation in the first place."

"You say it as if it's a bad thing; it's the best thing that's ever happened to me. You'll understand once you find your mate." There it was again. Her incorporation of the subject I always avoided.

"Well I won't be finding one any time soon." I remind her, to not get her hopes up.

"You don't know. We're bringing potential ones to your door tonight." She argues.

"It doesn't matter if they are or not because I won't know anyway, and neither will they."

She cocks her head to the side, probably only just beginning to realise that I haven't told her the theory behind it.

"Silver is easy to manipulate, when you know how to." I add, knowing it's enough for her to catch on.

A pack doctor earned a whole month's wage from me yesterday - before I went to play poker in the evening and won it all back - to give me a right dose of silver in the right way to make sure I can't find - or better word, recognise - my mate. It is only temporary, but will do for the time being.

It is harmful to us wolves, of course. But that can be used to our advantage. If done correctly, it can paralyse certain sensors, or whatever the science behind it was. Point is, it worked.

I knew that Remington was now completely aware of what I did and how, since she used it herself - just not for the same reasons. When her and Daniel first met, she went into heat because they despised one another and kept a distance, so she needed a similar procedure to delay it.

How ironic that now they fuck like rabbits.

"You know I still don't agree with that idea." Her look only showed her slight disappointment.

"Stop stressing out so much about me, it's not good to do that in your condition." I tell her. Secretly I just needed an excuse for her to leave me alone about this whole mate dilemma.

"Alex, I just want everything to be perfect." She folds her arms in front of me.

"Since when is anything to do with me not perfect?" I counter argue.