Chapter 13

The following day when I walked into school, it was oddly quiet. My fellow students seemed to be ignoring what had happened the other day.

I was glad for that of course, but I expected everyone to be staring at me. Instead, they all were focusing on themselves, whispering something to each other.

"I can't believe she's dead."

"What if it's us next?!" someone else said.

"She committed suicide. It's not like she was murdered or something.'"

"Still, someone died again. I swear this town is going crazy."

I furrowed my eyebrows and continued through the hallway, heading to my first period.

"Scarlet!" someone yelled behind me.

I huffed, turning around to face whoever it was.

"Can I talk to you?" it was the guidance counselor, Ms. Lero.

"Uh, if this is about-" I began to say.

"It isn't." she motioned her hand to follow me.

I sighed, turning on my feet and heading in the direction she was. She held out the door to her office, letting me inside. She shut the door behind us and sauntered over to her desk.

"I'm assuming you've heard some things out there, correct?" Ms. Lero stated.

I nodded, wondering where this is exactly leading. The last time I came in here was to talk about what happened to my teacher... and he ended up dead. I bit my lip and stood there.

"Please sit down." she pointed to the seat.

I grunted and dropped my backpack before heading over to the seat. I leaned against the seat, and put my arms on the arm rest.

"I know your friends with Melissa..."

"I'm not friends with her anymore." I snapped.

"You were one of her closest friends." she began to rummage through her bag before placing something on the desk. "her parents found this... I think she wanted you to read it."

I leaned forward to the paper and read over the words,"Dear friends and family.."

"What are you saying?" I tensed up, not wanting to read any more of what was on there.

"She committed suicide."

The words echoed through my head, repeating over and over. I couldn't believe what I just heard.

"No, I don't believe you." I stood up abruptly.

"Please, she wanted you to read this. " Ms. Lero insisted.

"You expect me to read a dead girl's suicide note? Are you serious!? You expect me to just be okay with it?!" I yelled.

"Scarlet, please calm down."

"I can't calm down," I muttered. I began to pace around the room, holding onto my head. I swear I was going crazy, I swore to it. Even though it has been almost two weeks since the last person that died, but now another one? What's exactly going on in this town?!

Ms. Lero began to rub her temples in annoyance of me. I knew I was probably stressing her out by the way I was acting, but I couldn't help it. How can people just act like everything is okay when everything is not okay?

"I just-just gotta get out." I took my bag over my shoulder.

"Scarlet, stop!" Ms. Lero called after me as I opened her door.

I glanced at her before turning away and walking out of there as quick as possible. I walked to the doors of the school, pulling on the large doors. The door swung open and I slipped out. As I did, I could feel myself crumble within me.

I let out a quiet sob but stopped once I saw another person also standing out there.

He had a cigarette in his hand, flicking it slightly. The ashes fell to the ground, slightly still lit until it hit the wet pavement of the ground.

I didn't know he smoked.

"Andy?" I said softly, eyeing him.

He turned around quickly, ready to put out his cigarette. "Oh- Scarlet?"

"I-I didn't know you smoked." I murmured.

He stared at me for a moment, taking a long drag from his cigarette. He released the cigarette from his mouth, letting the smoke float out from his mouth and out into the air. "Everyone has their outlets. Mine so happens to be smoking."

I nodded, pulling my backpack over my other arm also. "Well, I'm going home so if you'll excuse me." I began to walk past him as quick as possible.

"Wait, hold on." he reached out, catching his arm onto mine. I tripped over and fell right into his chest.

I leaned out, avoiding his eyes.

"What's going on?" he furrowed his eyebrows.

I shook my head,"It's nothing. I'm just going home, that's all."

"It's something. Don't lie to me," he said quite too harshly.

"Andy, I rather not. Please." I whispered.

He threw his cigarette to the ground, crushing it under his feet. "Then I'm coming with you."

I cocked my eyebrow up,"No, you can't miss school, Andy."

"Too bad, I don't care. School is school. It's just four years wasted in this hellhole." he spat.

I shrugged, finally meeting my eye with his. I knew I shouldn't have looked into his eyes because it made me fall all over him again. I shook my head and pulled away. "Andy, stay here."

I went to walk again, but he pulled me back once again.

"I don't trust you being by yourself. Like you said that other night, the murderer could get you." he smiled.

I huffed in annoyance and crossed my arms over my chest. "Fine."

"I wasn't going to take no for an answer either, but alright." he laughed as he walked beside me. "Plus that way I can at least try to cheer you up in some way or another."

"I don't know if there's much cheering up after what the guidance counselor just told me." I piped up my voice. "Like how do they expect me to just be fucking okay?! To have to read my own friend's suicide note?!" I started to yell out.

"She wasn't your friend. Friends don't do that to each other. They don't do what she did to you yesterday." Andy interrupted.

I nodded because I knew he was right. "She- she still meant so much to me. Even after what she did to me. I still can't believe..." I kicked the can that was rolling by the side of one of the walls were walking by. The can skid across the street, heading off into a whole other direction. "I can't believe she actually did it..."

"I guess she felt sorry what she did." he bit his lip, looking to the side.

"I guess.." I repeated what he said.

"Fuck school, fuck the people in it. They don't matter once you're out of there. They all get fat and old. High school is nothing but a waste of four whole years." Andy grunted. "The only reason why I'm still going there is of you."

I raised my head, looking at him in awe. "R-really?" I started. "Do you mean that?"

He paused from walking, shifting himself so he was facing me. "I mean it more than you can imagine."

I truly hoped he meant it.

••••
Sorry for the boring basic chapter but it's needed for the story :)
Things will get interesting in the next couple chapters!