Chapter 20

Chapter 20

I woke to the smell of bacon and eggs.

A stir in my belly caused me to sit up straight, only to wonder why Dorothy was here, working on a Saturday morning, when she supposedly had the weekend off. And then, my mind worked its way to my normal self, coming to the realization of everything I had been complied to do yesterday night. I groaned.

Looking around my bedroom, the sheets beside me were empty. No Lilani Smithers in sight. I crawled up from my unmade bed, and stared at the clock on my bedside table. Ten thirty-nine in the morning. Two and half hours extra sleep I had seemed to have received.

A T-shirt was sitting on my study chair in the corner, I swept it off and pulled it on quickly, before making my way into the hallway. My mantra had taken a sledgehammer and was already pounding away at my head as my belly rumbled in agony. I was way too hungry to be dealing with Lani right now.

On entering the kitchen, my feet padding against the wooden flooring, a small tune filled my ears. Lilani was at the stove, whistling to a beat that was playing on my old sixties-styled stereo I had hidden when I was sixteen. I had forgotten all about it after my father told me the music that kept playing was not acceptable in this household. Clearly, Church hymns was the way to go.

Her hair was styled in a messy bun atop her head, the few strands of tendrils, curling and framing her round face. The T-shirt that I had changed her into, reached mid-thigh, giving me a view of her toned calves and muscled thighs. She danced around with a spatula mid-air and an atmosphere of elegance around her as she fried the eggs like intended.

"Good morning," I mumbled, quickly turning away to look out the windows which overlooked a friendly park nearby. Children were sprawled around on swings and monkey-bars as mothers hovered closer together with coffees in hands, ready for their daily dose of gossip.

Lani stopped and turned to watch me carefully. Her eyes were big, and all traces of make-up gone. She looked fresh, compared to how I had seen her yesterday—hair in knots, mascara running down her face, and red lipstick smudged on the edge of her lips. "H-Hey."

I walked around the kitchen island and leaned against a set of drawers as I watched her grab a few more ingredients from around the kitchen. "So, what are you doing?"

"Oh, I hope you don't mind, I was feeling hungry." She motioned to the three cracked eggs and the white bread lying next to the toaster.

I smiled. "It's fine, just didn't know that you could have your way around a kitchen is all." I shrugged nonchalantly.

"I'm not prone to the kitchen Colton, I understand where things go," she replied, irritated.

I held my hands up in defence before things got out of hand. "I meant it as a good thing! It's a compliment."

She laughed it off and turned back to the eggs that were currently being fried. "Calm down, I know."

I took the stool and brought it around the kitchen island so that I could watch her. "You look fresh this morning. Had a good sleep?"

"Mhmm," she mumbled, "I kind of had a shower in your bathroom."

"Oh?" My eyebrows arched up.

She placed two plates on the marble table before plating up the dishes. Two eggs, three strips of bacon and two pieces of toast on one, as the other had one egg, two strips of bacon and one piece of toast. "Yeah, your body wash smelt really good. And, I figured my hair needed the washing after last night."

A plate landed in front of me and I stared at it. "Thank you." I looked back up at her. "You do smell quite nice."

"Quite nice? I figured I'd smell really great considering it was your body wash."