Chapter 9

Chapter 9

The term ‘shower singer’ never really seemed to be understandable to me.

When I was eight I had caught my father singing in the shower to an old Beatles song that he had been in love with since he was young. His voice was screechy and the words were all wrong. He seemed unfazed though that he wasn’t X-factor material as he sang. Forgetting that his son was at home sitting in the lounge he added a small rap at the end just for the heck of it. Of course as his son, I didn’t mind and I also thought he had a voice, but as I sat staring at the three girls in front of me, I finally knew that my father‘s singing was nothing like what I was watching now.

The curtains opened up to reveal three girls. The one to the left happened to be dressed in some type of leotard, a furry tail dangling from her bottom. On top of her head she had two ears poking out. The girl to the right had on a small pink skirt the size of Kiki’s and a top that barely covered her stomach. Two wings happened to be sprouting from her back and in her hair a small white tiara sat. But the middle girl caught my eye the most. She had on a small red coat with the hood covering her eyes, so only her lips were visible to the crowd. The red coat didn’t even reach mid-thigh but it was much longer than the other girls clothing.

“Hold on now, I’m choking,

Give me a second to collect myself,

You must be joking,

Otherwise I’m laughing to myself.”

The two girls at the back swerved further back as the middle girl took a few steps forward. The crowd seemed to go wild as the girl started to shake her hips to the music as she sang. I knew the people chanting ‘Destiny’ wasn’t helping her remember any of her words but she still kept going without noticing any of them. Her head was trained to the ground as she took her steps but what astonished me more is that she still hadn’t taken her hood off.

“Why you hear again?

Hold on a minute let me check this out,

Your invitation’s fake,

Must be from a ticket tout.”

The girl shoved her hoodie off to reveal bright green startling eyes and light brown hair, the length going to mid-back. Her skin was a pale white and her cheekbones high, giving me the perfect sight of her red lips. Her eyes ran over the crowd, going past me and landing on Kiki. I turned quickly to see Kiki smiling and giving her a soft wave of her hand as the girl kept on singing.

“I hear you out, you hear me out,

I hear you shout, I’m not stepping out,

I hear you out, you hear me out,

I hear you shout, I’m not stepping out.”

She seemed unnerved to the fact that twenty-five of these guys had their eyes glued to her legs. I honestly felt like grabbing my coat and covering her up. But as the two girls joined in to sing with her I could see her muscles loosen up a little as she shook her hair out of her face, doing a small tummy roll.

“Little grey fairy tales,

And little white lies,

Everything you exhale is attracting flies,

And you can go of the rails,

And you can cry your eyes out,

But everything you exhale is attracting flies.”

I tore my eyes away from the girl and looked at Kiki as she stared happily at me. The men and woman had started dancing along with the upbeat music as they cheered; glasses in hand and their drink spilling all over them. “Who is she?”