Chapter 2

Chapter 2

For the three days after the incident with Lilani at my place, I disdained everyone that spoke to me. It wasn't that I was trying to be mean or anything like that but I just couldn't figure out why she acted the way she did. But then again, the Lilani everyone else knew was just like that . . . a snake in the mud; the bad girl.

I crept around my house, grabbing my supplies for my classes and shrugged my blazer on again. Today was Friday and Lilani was supposed to meet me at my place today for the biology assignment we would be doing together. I dreaded the idea of working with her because I knew it would end badly either way, whether it be I said something or she was just cranky on that exact day.

'You spin my head right round, right round, when you're going down, when you're going down, down. You-'

I snatched at my phone from the red wooden table that rested underneath the mirror, knowing who it was that had set that ringtone as his.

"Hello," I said into the phone, slinging my backpack on my shoulder and opening the apartment door.

I could hear heavy breathing at first. "Dude!" Ace's deep gruff voice rung out through the small phone speaker. "Do you need a lift man?" he asked.

"Are you driving?" I took hold of the phone with my other hand as I locked the apartment door.

"Yeah man. Why?"

I shook my head. "What did I tell you about talking on the phone while you're driving?"

I could hear him laugh. "Don't worry man I have Katelyn-"

"It's Iridessa," the girl replied into the phone, sounding a bit pissed off.

"Oh right, sorry babe." I could hear Ace kiss the girl named Iridessa.

"It's fine Acey," she purred at him, the sound coming out anything other than sexy.

I rolled my eyes at the nickname the counterfeit girl had given him and made my way down the flight of stairs, ignoring the point of going down the elevator. I was planning on walking today since it was only twenty-five degrees Celsius. I could feel the cool air blowing in from the lobby doors and I smiled as I went past Charlie. The old man was having a seat and drinking his coffee that he must have picked up from Starbucks. 

"Good morning Mr Sanders," he greeted me.

I nodded to him and spoke into the phone. "No, I don't need a ride I'm planning on walking," I carried on with the conversation.

"Fine with me," Ace laughed as he spoke. He took a couple of minutes and then suddenly went all serious on me. "Man, I heard who your bio partner is. Fuck! I would seriously be tripping right now. I mean who the hell wants the biggest bitch as their biology partner?" I ignored the fact that he just referred to Lani as the 'biggest bitch.'

I let out a strangled half laugh, making all heads turn in my direction. "Yeah, I know. I'm fine I mean I have gone three days so far and I haven't even seen her once at school during those three days." It was the truth; I hadn't seen Lani at school. Being her, she must have been skipping, smoking weed and doing some erratic stuff that could get her killed or nearly killed . . . again.

"The slut is apparently getting a tattoo or something like that. I was like what the fuck? She already has like a zillion all over her legs."

I furrowed my eyebrows, something I didn't know about Lani. "Really?"

"You seemed surprised by that?" he asked and I could just imagine him smirking at me right now. Ace always said I knew everything and that I was some sort of magician.