Chapter 12

Chapter 12

10.8756 seconds. . . 10.8757 seconds . . . 10.8758 seconds, I counted quietly in my head.

Lani’s lips felt lenient and warm against my own. Her hands had managed to squirm their way up the length of my spine until they finally landed at the nape of my neck. Her body was pressed up alongside mine and I was afraid to take a step closer, unless I wanted to be right up against her breasts. I couldn’t tell if she had her eyes opened or not since mine were closed, and I wasn’t planning on opening them any time soon.

Onepeek? My mind questioned blatantly. I shook my head but soon realized I was stuck to someone by my lips. 11.9498 seconds . . . 11.9499 seconds . . . Okay, just to see if I’m doing it right, I gave in. I tweaked an eye open and almost burst into flames. My face seemed to turn a shade of crimson. I ignored the ‘oh’s’ and ‘ah’s’ I was receiving from Miranda-Anne along with a few others that had decided to surround and watch the show and glued my eyes to her face.

Lani’s dark eye-lashes were sprawled against her cheek; the ends flicked up. Her cheeks were tinged a beautiful rosy red from this angle and looked more high than ever. Her lips parted slightly, allowing breath to flow. Um . . . don’t I use my tongue? I asked internally. Her hands tightened around my neck, giving a gentle squeeze . . . and then I felt it graze my teeth; the soft wet thing.

Also known as a tongue . . .

I pulled back immediately like I had just shocked myself—Lani definitely being the electricity. Her hand dropped from the back of my neck and her black eyes fluttered open from the loss of contact. Her eyes seemed to have widened a fraction before they went back to their normal slits but her cheeks kept that slight pinkish twinge.

I rubbed the back of my neck—the same place she was clawing at and let out a long stutter, “I-I-I should go and g-get your um . . . drink.”

I didn’t wait to listen to her excuse for me to stay or her explanation on why her lips were on mine as I darted through the crowd. I felt my skin burn on fire like I was singed by the devil himself. And, with everyone dancing around me I was beginning to feel hot and drowsy.

How dare she kiss me!

I shoved passed people; the feeling overwhelming me. My anger was at the point of boiling over the pot as everyone constrained against my body. It felt heated and the air felt thick. My gosh, I’m astounded. I ran my hand down the length of my face just as I reached the door. Fresh air hit me like a frying pan in the face and I gladly welcomed it.

My ears perked up, listening to my name being called, but not by Lani, but Miranda-Anne. I looked both ways down the empty halls and then behind me. I couldn’t talk to her; not now. Especially when I had no idea what I could even say. I licked my dry lips and ran down the stairs taking them two at a time. Footsteps echoed behind me but I didn’t dare turn around.

Why would she do that?!

“Colton!”

I didn’t turn, only ran. I would walk all the way home if I had too. “No!” I yelled.

“Sanders, just fucking listen to me for once!” Lani screamed back, the venom slicing through the cool breeze.

I shook my head violently into the night sky. “Lani look, right now you need to just leave me alone.” I caught a glimpse at the back of me, my shoulder. Lani was a fair bit behind, her heels in her hands as she jumped over certain parts of the grassy area. She looked so young and carefree as she swivelled and tip-toed barefoot.

“Come on Colton! It was just a simple kiss,” she groaned, still jumping and slowly catching up.

I turned around and jabbed my finger in her direction. God bless me for pointing! “No, you don’t get it Lani,” I yelled, making her stop and watch me intently. “I was saving that for her.” I gestured to the back of her with my hand. “I wanted my first kiss to be with Miranda-Anne not you!” I gasped, taking in a long breath.