Chapter Twenty Four: Advice From A Friend

The company was up before dawn. Bella woke up to see Thorin resting in the chair across from her bed and she threw a pillow at him. The Dwarf king let out a grunt as he shoved the pillow off his face. "You awake now sleepy head?" She smirked

Thorin groaned in annoyance and gave a slight glare. "Well aren't you just in a delightful mood."

"Would you prefer I be grumpy like you? Lighten up a little Thorin. You are allowed to have fun once in awhile." Bella pressed.

"We are not on this journey to have fun. Bella. Perhaps the wizard forgot to inform you of that when he mentioned this quest to you."

"Okay then. I see you're really in a mood this morning." The half-breed hissed.

"We need to get going. We have to get as far of a distance from Azog and his pack of filth as we can. Now, can you walk? And be honest. We can't afford anymore delays Bella." Thorin pressed.

"I'm fine Thorin. I can walk. Oh wait? You don't believe me right? I guess i'll show you." Bella growled.

"Well go on then." He encouraged. Deciding to humor the young woman as a smirk formed on his face. The young woman glared at him for a short second, wondering why he was suddenly acting like this. He seemed fine yesterday when they talked. Why the sudden change in attitude towards her? She watched the dwarf lean against the wooden table and indicated with his hand for Bella to continue. She rolled her eyes, and tossed the blankets off of her and pushed herself off the bed.

"Oh look, i'm walking." she taunted coming around the bed towards the leader.

"Hmm, so you are. But how good are you're reflexes?" He challenged. Without warning Thorin pulled out Orcrist, Bella barely getting her own sword in front of her to block the leader's harsh swing as there metals crashed. The woman could tell Thorin was really holding back. She could hold her sword with one hand if she wanted to.

"You know. An enemy wouldn't hesitate to apply it's full strength on me just because i'm a woman." She stated.

"So i'm you're enemy, am I?" Thorin smirked.

"I don't know. Are you?" She challenged. With that, the dwarf King no longer held back and Bella's grip tightened around the handle of her weapon. The woman wasn't sure how much longer she was going to keep this up, she could already feel the beads of sweat coming down her face. Thorin had barely twitched an eye. This was nothing for him. He glanced down at her stance, seeing her legs beginning to shake, she was growing exhausted, just trying to keep his blade from striking her down. Finally Bella's strength gave out on her and she fell on her back. The leader expected the half-breed to just give up but she still held onto her sword.

"Give up yet?"

"I'm stubborn remember." She grunted.

"Right. How could I forget." Bella smirked, raising a brow when they were interrupted.

"What is going on here!?" Oin yelled. Thorin looked, relieving some of the pressure on her blade and she took this opportunity and kicked the leader in the shin and he fell backwards. "Are you trying to injure her all over again!" The medic asked, looking at the leader in particular.

"I was just making sure she was still sharp." Thorin told him, getting up from the ground.

"And you!" Oin turned to point a finger at the woman still lying on the ground. " You that stupid to undo all the progress you've made to get where you're at now?" Bella looked at the ground and then back at the medic.

"I was just making sure I was still capable holding my own." She muttered at him.

"Hold your own." The medic rolled his eyes and walked passed them both. " You both should be staying behind." Oin muttered out the door. The king walked over to Bella and pulled her up from the ground when Dwalin came in.