Chapter Twenty: Stubborn Ways

The company was once again running. Bella was beginning to see why Oin had stressed that she not walk on her own. Bella had to bit her tongue every time she placed her right boot down, feeling the excruciating pain that would shoot up her leg. They had made it down the mountain side and even ran through a few streams along the way. If it wasn't for the fact that they had Azog and his pack of vermin after them and now very large bear, Bella was sure her and the others would have collapsed a long time ago.

They were now running through the forest, when a thundering roar echoed through the air, causing them all to come to an abrupt stop. It sounded even closer then the last. Bella was panting like crazy and had to place an arm on Bofur's shoulder just to keep herself steady.

"You alright lass?" Bofur asked, still trying to catch his own breath. Bella nodded her head, Bofur totally missing the fact that the woman's face had cringed in pain with just barely taking a step with her right leg.

"This way! Quickly!" Gandalf shouted to get them moving again. The company all exhaled groans as they got their selves motivated to run again, which didn't take much, all they had to remind themselves their was a angry bear after them. Bella was one of the last to make it through the tree lines when her leg gave out on her and she face planted into the earth. The leader had just passed Bella when he slid to a stop and ran back over to her.

"Bella, come on get up!" Thorin yelled, yanking her up by the arm, ignoring her cry's of pain as he continued to pull her along side him.

"To the house! Run!" The wizard hollered. Just then Bombur passed Thorin and Bella and even started passing the rest of the company till he was in lead. All of a sudden another piercing roar came from behind them. The woman turned her head and saw the bear had broke through the tree line. " Open the door!" he yelled.

"Quickly!" Thorin added, seeing the bear was just about at the hedges and the fact that Bella was struggling to stay on her feet. The leader shoved his way through his men, seeing none had realized the door had a latch on it. Thorin, with his free hand lifted the latch and the doors swung open. He released his hold on the half-breed who managed to not fall to the ground again, though it was painful.

After struggling for a few minutes the Dwarves managed to close the doors and locked it and were now bracing themselves against the wood, panting heavily.

"What is that?" Ori gasped.

"That would be our host." Bella informed and her companions all turned to look at her.

"And you know this how?" Dwalin growled.

"I've been here before." She simply answered, smirking to see Dwalin was not impressed with her short answers.

"His name is Beorn. He's a Skinchanger. Sometimes he is a huge black bear, sometimes he is a great strong man. The bear is unpredictable, but the man can be reasoned with-" Gandalf explained, only to be cut off by the half-breed.

"Um, your forgetting the whole part were all Dwarves, and he is not fond of Dwarves. A wizard and a hobbit aren't going to convince him of much." She reminded. Thorin looked at her funny, not sure if he heard correctly what she had just said, but it was clear none of the others had caught it.

"Come away from there." Dori hissed at his youngest brother, pulling him away from the door. "It's not natural. None of it! It's obvious. He's under some dark spell."

Bella rolled her eyes at this absurd nonsense. "Oh, please. Don't be a fool Dori. He's under no enchantment but his own." Bella had been standing for the longest time and forgot the pain that would should up her leg if she should walk on it. The half-breed took a step and collapsed and she groaned in anger.