Ch.30 Leaving Time

Ch.30 Leaving Time

The picnic I had with Mimi was awesome. But now it was time for me to go. 8 hours after our picnic me and my dad went off. No suitcases, No anything, just our clothes, the ones we were wearing. We waited in the bushes for a train carrying coal to come around. Then it did. It was a rush to take this risk. I and my dad ran up to it. My dad hopped on the back of a cart, holding onto a ladder, but the thought of Mimi stopped me from doing the same. "¡Vamos, prisa, Pedro!" My father yelled at me. It brought me back to reality. My dad can only speak Spanish. "Come on, hurry Pedro" was literally the only thing he said to me. I jumped up on a ladder. A few carts behind his. I climbed up and sat on the coal pile. I cried sitting up there. The wind drying my tears. Someone tapped my shoulder. I looked behind me to see a girl. Her face was dirty, but she had light color skin. Her eyes were dark brown and her hair went to her back, it was very dirty, so was her clothes. She had thin pink lips and a normal nose. She wore black and squared glasses. "Hola, me llamo Rosa." Her name was Rosa. I guess she thought I could only speak Spanish too, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. "¿Podrías hablar inglés?" I struggled to say. I know I'm Mexican, but it's been such a long time since I spoke Spanish. "I can" I was amazed. She can speak English. "What is your name, boy" "Pedro" "Why are you here?" "trading" "where are you going?" "America" " Are you alone?" "Why are you asking all these questions" I wiped my tears. And pulled out my phone to text Mimi. "Who Ya textin?" "My girlfriend" "You have a girlfriend!" "yep" "What's her name?" "Mi..." I remembered the promise. The promise I made not to talk about her. "Where are you from?" "Down south, I'm from El Salvador." El Salvador is far away from Puebla. Where we are now. She must've been on this train for awhile. "Pedro, are you tired?" "it's only 6:45" "a couple of carts down there is a cart where they usually put animals. But there are no animals in it. It's very comfortable." she continued, ignoring my comment. "Why are you here?" I asked her "to see some family, do you have a family, Pedro?" "there's my dad, but we kind of got separated on the trains." She was in the middle of saying something when the train came to a sudden stop. Her eyes went narrow, her lips were curled into her mouth. Then I noticed, I was on top of her. I quickly moved and said, "Sorry, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to!" She took me by the hand and we jumped off the cart and into some bushes, The bushes broke our fall. "What are you doing?!" I yelled out her. "Shhhh!, Pedro, follow!" she grabbed my hand, but I yanked it away. "What's going on?" she rolled her eyes. "A check down, people are gonna come out to make sure they have all of the coal" "they're gonna count every single one?!" "Now, we just need to go, I'll explain later" Here we go again with the I'll explain later stuff. She took my hand and we went into the woods. We ran and ran. She was leading me. I turned around and seen flashlight beams. I was scared. "Don't look back!" She said. My side was aching and my head was hurting. Then we came across from a street and across the street was a house. And before we knew it, we were at it. A little girl opened the door. She looked 5. A woman came rushing behind her. "What did I tell you about opening the door without permission!?" "Don't do it. I sorry mommy." the little girl skipped away. The woman gave us a smile "May I help you?" "Oh, um I and my boyfriend were in a terrible accident, we were wondering if you could help us?" "Do you need somewhere to stay?" "That would be nice ma'am" "Well, um, I have a guest house just out back, would that work?" "anything will work." "It ain't free, I say umm, 10 dollars a week will do." "Anything ma'am" "hold on" How did she do that? She talked this woman in to let us stay with her. She came back with keys and we followed her to the guest house. She opened the door. It was awesome and it smelt clean. She gave me the keys and said "Please don't damage this house." I opened a drawer in the bedroom and found girl pajamas and boy pajamas. Neatly folded. "I'm taking a shower" Rosa said as she rushed to the bathroom. I pulled out my phone.

P: Hello

M: How are you?

P: Good, not too bad

M: Where you at?

P: Some girl guest house

M: Not on a train

P: Rosa said we couldn't ride until 2 days from now

M: Rosa? Who is Rosa?

P: Oh, I forgot to tell you. She is a girl I met on the train

M: Is Rosa cool

P: Yeah, she's noisy to

M: Lol

P: WYD?

M: Chillin

P:coool

M: HBU

P: kind of bummed

M: Why?

P: I have to stay the night with a girl I don't

like, I wish I could stay the night with you

M: What girl?

P: Rosa

M: Oh

P: Yep

P: Hello?

P: Mimi answer me!

P: Mimi?

She stopped texting me. She probably got tired or something. Rosa came out in a gown with a flower decoration at the bottom. Her face was clean and so was her hair. I could actually see the chocolate chip under her right eye. I got in the shower too. I felt clean. Rosa was already fast asleep. I stared at her for a while. Then I laid down next to her and fell asleep.