The sun streamed through the window, causing me to blink to adjust to the light. Once again, I opened my eyes to see Dimitri's peaceful face. I sighed and leaned into his chest. Right now, I'm living in a fantasy. In a week, I'll be pulled out of it, and be back to Lissa and Court and... desk work. I almost groaned at those words.

The smell of eggs and bacon pulled me out of my thoughts. I, gently, unraveled Dimitri's arm from my waist. I swung my legs over the edge of the bed and gasped when a strong arm wrapped around my waist. He pulled me back down and laughed in my ear. His breath sent tingles across my skin. I turned so that we were face to face. He caressed my cheek and left a soft kiss there. He leaned in, and our foreheads touched. My breath caught, and I brushed my lips against his. He responded with another kiss.

We were interrupted--that seemed to be happening a lot lately--by a knock at the door.

"Can I come in?" Viktoria asked

Dimitri said yes, and Viktoria came in. A smile spread across her face. I, then, realized that I was still wrapped in Dimitri's arms and resting my head on his bare chest. I moved away, and remembered the time that I let Lissa in when Dimitri and I were in a similar position. He'd been horrified, and now I know what it feels like.

"Breakfast is ready" she announced

"I know. I smelt it. I would be down there already if it wasn't for your brother" I laughed

"You two are so cute together. Rose, that reminds me. Um, do you want to come with me to see Nikolai. I know he wants to see you. I mean to talk to you about something. He wouldn't tell me the details. He said just to mention Novosbirsk... does that mean anything to you?"

My eyes widened, and then I grimaced. Dimitri's body went still. I nodded, and she walked out. I stroked Dimitri's cheek, trying to keep him calm.

"Don't think about it" I repeated that over and over

He took my wrist and forced me to let go of him. He walked off to the bathroom, and I decided that it was best to let him be. I got dressed in jeans and a white T-shirt before walking down to the kitchen. I sat down with the rest of the Belikovs and lowered my head to hide the emotion on my face. This situation would take me a few moments to get my guardian mask, successfully, on.

"Where's Dimka?" Olena asked

"The bathroom" I answered

"Are you ok, Rose?"

"Fine"

Dimitri came down the stairs, and made a point to sit as far away from me as possible. I stabbed my fork into my eggs and shoved it down my throat. An awkward silence hung in the air. I raised my head slightly, so that I could see Dimitri. His head was bowed down, as if he was praying. In fact, I think that was what he was doing. It took him months to get over this, and now it was brought up. All those memories and regret were stirring within him, again. Normally, I would just forget this and say that it'll blow over. Because, it will. I'm worried because I made it very clear that if he couldn't forgive himself... we couldn't be together.

I took a deep breath, and put on my guardian face. I finished my breakfast at the same time as Viktoria, and set off to go see Nikolai with her. Nikolai looked like he did last time I saw him. Not that I expected him to look any older. It's only been, like, ten and a half months since I last came here.

"It's nice to see you're alive" he laughed

"What do you want?" I asked

"I told Denis you were back in town. He wants to know why you ran off?"