Chapter 18

Author's Note: Dedicated to . . . . KarenRitter :) 

Chapter 18

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I pull back from the kiss I just went in for, once I ran out of breath. Although I felt that, maybe I wouldn't regret falling for him, I think I might regret that kiss. . .he doesn't like me back, I was sure of it. Otherwise, wouldn't he have invited me to make out with him, like he did with other girls? Was it just because I was smarter than all those other girls? If he did like me, then he wouldn't have tipped me out of the canoe earlier in the camp, but. . .he could have changed his mind. Then why didn't he push me away just then? Did he even care who was kissing him, but it was just all about the action? Argh, so many questions! I realise I'm staring at the wall. Did I actually regret that kiss? Do I really love him? 

I quickly stand up and run through the hallway and outside into the cool and breezy alley way street. I lean against the brick wall, taking deep breaths. I hear the door open and Josh coming towards me. I hear him scratch his head, or something, his arm or neck maybe. 

"I didn't know you'd regret it," he says. But he doesn't sound upset. 

I don't say anything. 

"I mean, I know I might use girls all the time, but, like, please don't regret that,"

"Oh, Josh, that's not the point," I whine. 

I let out a long sigh. 

Sophia comes out. She doesn't realise anything is going on. 

"Alright, ready to go back?" She asks cheerfully. 

Josh nods. 

"I'll just say goodbye."

In a matter of seconds, he comes back out. I didn't want to go in at the same time so now I go in to say goodbye. 

We slide into the car and Josh puts his brace back on. 

"I really don't like the idea of you taking the brace off anymore," Sophia says sternly, but she's got a touch of humour in her voice. 

"It affects my work," he says. 

"You can still cut onions up can't you?"

"No,' he replies, 'unless the bench is as high as my head."

She laughs. 

"Well, if you keep taking it off, your jaw will never heal."

The rest of the trip is silent and Sophia only talks again when she drops us off. 

"Alright Josh, take care off youself, and Scarlett, hope you can join us tomorrow, the old folk love you!" 

I manage a smile and I wave to her and then she's disappeared out the gate. It's just me and Josh. 

"Do you want me to-" I start. 

"No, I'll get the nurse,' he smiles. 'Scarlett?"

My eyes meet his. 

"I just hope you don't see me the way most of the others see me. I've had a hard life, but I'm not complaining. I suppose I just found a way to use it, and, I enjoyed it. Please don't regret that kiss, because I sure didn't. G'night Scarlett." 

Then I'm left there, just taking in and reading what he said. I felt guilty, because during the time I was with him, I still had thoughts of him being a player, and he's done so much for me. And he's right, he  just found a way to enjoy it, rather than staying miserable.