9/11

On this day, humanity received a grim reminder...well, more like just America, but hurray for morbid jokes amirite.

Alright, in all seriousness though...

9/11 was a horrible tragedy that affected the lives of us all in some way. Just watching the footage on TV was bad enough, but those who lived close enough in the city to even view it with their own eyes, were most likely completely devastated.

Here were two towers built from allegedly indestructible steel, some of the highest buildings in the city, suddenly coming on fire before their very eyes. Smoke, dark, billowy, and menacing, was starting to come out of the holes created by the planes, and you could only watch in tears as dark bodies begin to fall from the sky.

To most people there, they were in a state of self-doubt. Surely the emergency forces, like firefighters and medics, could reach the scene on time. With how great America was, it would be taken care of in no time.

But that was not to be.

Many people would spend hours waiting for help, desperately pleading with the emergency operators to send someone, anyone, to save them from the roaring flames and imminent destruction of the towers.

And, by far the most heartbreaking one; a man made a phone call a few minutes before WTC2 collapsed, and you can hear his reaction on the line.

This, and footage of people jumping...sobers me entirely. To know that this is what a massive terrorist attack can accomplish, and how utterly helpless we can be to stop it...those facts break me. Especially while watching footage likes this

I don't know how you can watch this type of footage from 9/11, and remain dry-eyed. It was a terrible tragedy that DOES deserve to be remembered, no matter what others may say.

I know there's a lot of violence in the world, and compared to full-scale wars, 9/11 may seem like nothing....but it was important, in a very big way. It showed what would happen when radicals are allowed to follow through with their wretched ideals. It proved how even the most powerful of Nations was capable of helplessness, and how easily human lives could be taken away.

Many people thought that 9/11 would just be a beautiful day, where their family or friends would be forced to work inside instead of enjoy the bright summer day; but then the fabric of their lives was changed forever.

So that is why we should always remember honor all those who bravely tried to save lives in 9/11, and all the victims of the cruel plane attacks.

9/11. Never forget.