A Lost Life

There are always those people who somehow seem to connect with you. They transcend the boundaries of age, gender, and anything else in order to become someone you can truly trust and respect. This could be either a childhood friend, a favorite teacher, or even a relative.

Well, for me, it was a caring mentor.

One of my close friends on here, Katie, had a father who really went above and beyond in order to guide young minds around him. He volunteered at church, offered driving lessons to both public-schooled and home-schooled kids alike, and was always willing to help us out of a scrape. He was the type of man who'd pay for the neighbor's window you broke while playing baseball, or help you patch up your parent's car before they heard you crashed it.

He was always so full of energy and life, never getting bored or finding your conversations dull. When you talked to him, he really listened...when you needed to vent out your emotions, he would offer some advice but never judge you.

He was the man who taught me how to do leatherwork, the one who taught me how to drive, and most importantly, became a strong model for me in my faith.

And today on May 5th, he was killed while riding his motorcycle on the highway.

So I know this may not mean much to you. That he's just a stranger that an online friend happens to mourn. But please, even if you're not a christian...could you maybe say a prayer for Mr. Hoffman? I, and most probably him, would gratefully appreciate it if you do.