Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Noah

            I feel the water falling on my face as I lie on the wet grass in the dark holding Leah’s hand.  My clothes are clinging to me and I’m pretty sure we can get a large ticket for trespassing, but right now there is nothing anyone could say that would convince me to move from this place.  I don’t want to let this moment go.  There’s a piece of me that is longing to look up from this darkness at the stars with her right next to me.  I’m determined to live in this moment. 

            Leah is still giggling next to me as we look up into the night sky.  I turn my head to the side so I can watch her.  She is so beautiful as the water falls upon her face and creates a glow with the reflection of the stars above.  She is the perfect woman and I feel I am losing my hold on her.  I squeeze her hand and she turns her head in my direction. 

            Her smile takes my breath away and I love how she pulls her bottom lip between her teeth.  When I don’t say anything to her, she turns her head back up to the sky and closes her eyes as the water falls softly on her face.  I can’t remember the last time I have ever wanted to kiss a girl so bad in my life.  I’ve wanted to seduce women, and I have used kissing as a way to avoid too much talking, but with Leah it is different.  With her, I want to see how soft her lips are and what she would feel like under my touch. 

            I let go of her hand and she looks over at me.  I get to my feet on the slippery grass and offer her my hand again, this time knowing that she can be a little sneaky so I dig my heels in.  She smiles and puts her hand in mine so I can help her up.  I know that her ex is coming tomorrow to try to take make things work, but I can’t help but to pull her up and into my arms.  Her breath catches as I wrap my arms around her and spin her in the sprinklers. 

            When I finally set her feet back onto the ground my resistance caves and I lean in close and let her lips brush softly against mine.  I pull back and look into her eyes searching for an invitation to continue to kiss her or maybe a reason to stop.  What I find is a look of surrender.  She puts her cold, wet hands on my cheeks and turns her face slightly so she can pull me back to her.  This time I don’t pull away.

            It’s so much more than that first night we kissed.  I feel my heart beating in my chest and I have to remind myself to breathe.  The water is still spraying us and in the distance I hear the guard yelling to someone.  I smile against her lips and she laughs and looks over her shoulder at the beam of light from the guard now on the top of the hill.  Taking her hand in mine, I tug her in the direction of the Nova. 

            When we get there, I dig in my drenched pants pocket for the keys and try hard to open the door to let her in.  She is whispering loudly for me to hurry and I manage to swing hers open.  She jumps inside and leans across the front seat to unlock my door as if we have done this a million times.  Suddenly it feels like Bonnie and Clyde as I fire up the engine and take off out of the parking lot. 

            We are both laughing hysterically by the time the Nova turns onto the main highway.  She brushes the wet strands of hair off her forehead and rolls down her window so the cool night air can help defrost the windshield. 

            “Oh my God, that was so much fun!”  She smiles at me as the wind whips through the car and blows her hair around her face.  She struggles to hold it back but is losing the battle.  I know she must be cold because she is dripping wet and we are flying down the coast, but I have no way of knowing since my body is so heated from our kiss. 

            I reach my hand out and take hers again.  “That was the most fun I’ve ever had there.”  The adrenaline of running from the guards and kissing her is still coursing through my body and I feel so alive.  We wind along the coast until we reach the apartment and I pull into my usual spot.  I don’t know where that kiss will lead us or how it might have changed things and the anticipation of making the next move is beginning to build. 

            I open her door and hold her hand, this time it feels familiar and expected.  I love that.  We make a run for the stairs since we look ridiculous in our soaking clothes.  Her bare feet pad softly next to mine as we climb higher and higher towards my place.  When we round the corner on the stairs we come face to face with a man carrying a large bouquet of flowers.  I know immediately it must be Lyle. 

            I feel Leah let go of my hand as she takes in the sight of her ex standing on her doorstep with flowers.  My heart feels like it has been stabbed and I try hard not to let her see the disappointment on my face when she looks quickly for my reaction.  I smile at her and nod my head as I pretend to have trouble finding my keys.

            “Lyle, what are you doing here?  I thought you said you weren’t coming until tomorrow.”  She takes a step in his direction as he holds the bouquet out to her. 

            “I couldn’t wait any longer.  I wanted to see you and surprise you.”  I step past him and to my door.  It feels so painful and awkward I’m not sure what I’m supposed to do. 

            “Noah,” Leah says softly.  I turn around from my attempt at unlocking my door.  “This is Lyle.  Lyle, this is my friend Noah.”  With that my heart completely shatters.  I swallow down the disappointment and reach my hand out to shake his.  I smile at both of them and then turn my attention back to the door.  I should say something like, it’s nice to meet you or it’s great you made it here safe, but really I want to punch him in the face and tell him to go home. 

            Leah turns back to him and quietly says, “I just need to grab a few things and then we can stay at my place.”  I don’t turn around, but I don’t have to in order to know that he is smiling at her words.  I unlock the door and hold it open for her as she steps inside.  Her eyes never leave mine and I know she is waiting for me to tell her it’s ok, but I can’t.  It’s not ok.  I love her and she is going to walk out of my life. 

            I can’t bring myself to follow her in.  Instead, I stand out in the hallway while she gathers her stuff.  Lyle looks uncomfortable also as he tries not to make eye contact.  I’m not sure what she has told him about us, but I know enough about their history to worry he is going to break her heart.

            “I know I just met you,” I say as I tuck my hands into my pockets and make eye contact with him, “but Leah is a friend of mine that I care very deeply about.  It’s not my business what is going on with you two, but I do know one thing:  Either you love her or you don’t which makes you the luckiest man alive or the biggest fool.  Don’t break her heart.  Figure out what you want and then fight for her or let her go.”  He says nothing to me but nods his head.  The door creeks open a bit further and Leah steps out between us. 

            Lyle waves a small goodbye to me and she looks into my eyes as she steps towards her own front door.  “I’ll see you tomorrow in the morning so I can get the rest of my things.”  I don’t trust myself to speak so I just nod my head and walk into my apartment, closing the door softly behind me.  I stand still in the entry way and wait until I hear her door close, then head straight for the liquor with the hope it’s slow burn will help take away the sting of my broken heart. 

***Please help me out by sharing and clicking the star on this chapter.  I hope you are enjoying my story so far.  Let me know what you think on twitter @sarahwhitewrite  #TOUCH.