Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Noah

            Spinning the cup of coffee in front of me I try to avoid looking my best friend and lab partner in the eye.  I just spilled how I feel about Leah to him.  I needed to talk to someone about the situation and he is the safest person.  I trust him to give me solid, honest advice instead of the crap my other friends feed me.  “No relationship, Bro.  You have it made.” Or “Just keep banging girls.  You’re too young to be serious.”  I breathe out a frustrated breath as I think of all the shitty advice they have given me over the years. 

            Jude takes a long sip from his coffee and then runs a hand through his hair.  “Fuck, man.  Sounds like you waited too long.  The way I see it, you have two options.”  He holds one finger up to keep count, “You tell her how you feel and risk that she doesn’t feel the same way, or thinks you are a total asshat for waiting too long to tell her, so she gets pissed and stays with her current boyfriend/ex, whatever.”  He subtly shakes his head no, and then lifts a second finger, “Or you keep your mouth shut and let her figure out if her ex is the right guy for her.  If you don’t think he is, then maybe it isn’t going to work out and you just need to be patient.”  He shrugs his shoulders and offers me an empathetic smile.  “Either way you’re fucked right now.”  He picks up his scone and takes a bite.

            “That’s exactly what I thought,” I say, twisting my coffee around again before taking a big sip.  “What would you do?”  I watch Jude’s eyes go wide.

            “Oh, no.  I’m not falling for that.  It’s up to you to make that choice, you know that.  I won’t have you being pissed at me if what I tell you doesn’t work out.”  He’s right and I lean back in my chair and try to think about what I’m going to do.  His phone chimes from his pocket and he reads the screen.  “Sorry, I’ve got to run.  Let’s meet up again soon, maybe over beers next time, huh?”  He grabs his empty coffee cup and tosses it in the trash by us before standing up. 

            “Thanks, man.  Beers sound good.  I’ll give you a call.”  We nod our heads and he takes off out of the small café.  I guess our talk didn’t get me any closer to a solid answer of what I should do, but at least it felt good getting it of my chest.  I toss my coffee too and make my way to my small office on campus.  I have a few things I have to finish up before I can head home. 

            When I find myself struggling to stay focused despite there being complete silence in my office, I decide to head back to the apartment and get ready.  My goal for tonight will be to let go and have a good time.  I don’t want to think about her moving out tomorrow or what she will be doing while her ex is in town.  My stomach wrenches with the thought of him staying over with her.  Her brand new bed is put together in my guest room and I can’t stand the thought of him holding her on it. 

            I expect that she will be home when I get to my apartment, but it seems empty.  I listen for a minute, trying to hear if she is getting ready on one of the rooms but all I can hear is the faint beat of music playing from somewhere.  I follow the soft sound until I find myself pressed up against the wall the separates her apartment from mine.  A smile stretches across my face when I can hear our song playing from somewhere in her apartment. 

            I knock lightly on the way and then shout to her that she should hurry up because I am starving.  I hear her laugh back and tell me to eat a snack.  I laugh and decide that maybe a glass of wine would be better.  I pour myself a glass and then make my way into my room to change.  I throw on a pair of black slacks and a dark gray sweater.  When I have just finished slipping on my shoes, I hear a key in the front door.  My heart starts to pound in my chest and I feel as excited as I did on my first date as a teenager. 

            Leah peaks her head in my room and I feel my breath catch at how stunning she looks.  Her hair is down and curled and while I can see that she has make-up on, it is just enough to brighten her face and not so much she looks like she painted it on.  I love that about her.  She’s beautiful.  Her dress is black lace and has small cap sleeves that barely kiss the tops of her shoulders.  The rest hugs her body deliciously and stops half way between her hips and knees.  It is suggestive without being trashy.

            I love that her legs are bare and her feet are tucked into some high heels.  Altogether, she is the most beautiful sight I have ever seen.  I’m not sure how to tell a “friend” something like that so I offer her a smile, extend my hand and when hers is placed in mine I spin her around slowly.  “You look absolutely stunning.”  I see her cheeks flush a soft pink and love that my words have that effect on her.  If she were mine, I would make sure she knew how beautiful she was every day. 

            “Thank you.  Where are you taking me?”  I guide her arm so that it is looped in mine and walk her to the front door of the apartment.  I will miss our time in the kitchen tonight, but I am looking forward to having a few hours where my focus can be entirely on her.  I can honestly say I’ve not gone out on a date like this in years and as we leave my place, I take a second to let myself feel the excitement and hope of starting something like this again. 

            “There’s a little fish place just up the hill.  It overlooks the beach and they always have a live pianist on Friday nights.”  She tucks her head down, but not before I see the happiness on her face.  It causes my own heart to pick up the pace.  I feel like beating my chest like a caveman for making her happy, knowing I put that smile on her face. 

            “Sounds great.”  She smiles up at me and wraps her free hand around my arm.  When our eyes meet we both chuckle, feeling like two teenagers out on a date.  We haven’t even left the apartment building and I am already trying to think of ways I could extend this night.  I feel like I am walking in heaven and I don’t want to let it end.  Tomorrow morning I’m going to have to put on a brave face and help her move her stuff next door, the whole time knowing she is taking my heart with her.  Tonight, however, she is mine and I plan on being with her, memorizing her laugh and learning all about her until our time runs out.  

****Please remember to vote and SHARE!!!  Hope you are loving the fast updates :)  Don't forget to find me on twitter @SarahWhiteWrite