Touch

Chapter 1

Leah

I knew I was going to hate these stairs. I take a minute to adjust the box I am holding again, using my knee to momentarily support it so my arms can recover. Moving out of the apartment I have spent the last two years of my life living in with my best friends is not turning out to be a joyous occasion. I blow out a big breath and remind myself that we had to move on and the three of us getting into our various graduate programs was in fact a wonderful thing.

My arms are beginning to feel like wet noodles from all of the lifting. I hike the box up into them again and start my journey up the last few stairs. I'm counting the stairs in my head since I can't see them over the box. When I finally reach the last step, a loud slamming door startles me. Before I can figure out what is happening a half naked woman rounds the corner at the top of the steps walking backward and giving someone on my floor the finger.

"Watch out," I say on a breathy exhale but it is too late. Her body collides with the box I'm holding and we both stumble trying to regain our footing before we tumble down the stairs. I have no choice but to drop the box and try to grab hold of the railing barely catching myself before my butt slams down onto the hard wood. I feel my ankle twist and the pain shoots up my leg.

"I'm sorry," she says as she rights herself and runs down the stairs, quickly but carefully avoiding the items from my box that are now scattered all around us.

"No problem," I say sarcastically more to myself than to her. I close my eyes and lean back on my elbows. Thank goodness this was my last trip for the day. I lift my leg up and cringe at the horrible throbbing of my ankle. Damn it. A few of the scattered items are within reach so I begin to collect them.

"I'll get those," a strongly masculine voice says from somewhere above me. I hear his feet fall upon the hard wood above me. He passes me and grabs the pens and pencils that have rolled down the stairs before stacking up a few of the text books that managed to slide out of the overturned box. The stranger flips the box upright and puts the items back in.

I know I am staring but I can't help it. The man before me is tall, with light blonde hair that looks tussled and he is only wearing a pair of jeans. His bare feet stick out from below the dark pants and I watch him tuck the shirt he was holding into the rear waistband of his jeans. When his face finally rises to meet mine I am entranced by the blue eyes that are now staring back at me. A smile curves his lips and I love the way it is slightly crooked.

"Sorry about that. I didn't mean for my drama to become yours." He reaches out a strong hand to me. "I'm Noah. I live in 23." His eyes dart up to the landing above us and I nod my head and accept his hand.

"Leah. I guess I'm your new neighbor." I pull my hand back so I can keep myself propped up on my elbows. "I guess you can send her over when she gets back so I can properly introduce myself." The sarcasm is thick and he chuckles before slightly shaking his head.

"Won't be necessary. She's not coming back." Noah stands up and puts his hands on his hips. I notice his broad chest and let my eyes dip down to explore his abs and the intriguing V that dips into his low-slung jeans. "I'll carry you up. That ankle looks pretty swollen. Let's get some ice on it." I nod my head and he picks up the box. "Let me put this up first. Everyone in the building is pretty cool but I still wouldn't trust a few of them not to help themselves to you office supplies."

I watch him easily take the stairs two at a time and slip into my apartment. He is back down to me in just a few minutes and I hate that he is going to have to carry me, but right now I know there is no way I can make it on my own. He flashes me his crooked smile again before bending down to slip his arms under my legs and behind my back. I hold on loosely to his neck and he carries us to the top.