Roles

"Alright girls!"

Everyone stopped what they were doing and turned their attention to the aunties. 

The aunties had been observing them for a few weeks now to see which of them would be best suited for the roles in the Meenakshi festival.

Kanji was beaming with excitement, while Kaurvaki was also excited, she was becoming more and more curious. 

She wasn't expecting to be given an important role. There were other girls way deemed more graceful than her. She had a mild expression.

"Ok! We all know that you girls have all worked so hard for these past few weeks, and we ourselves know how important the Meenakshi Pooja is for girls at the Youth age."

Many of the girls were murmuring excitedly.

One aunty turned to Kaki who was the more elder of them, as her son had just gotten married. "Would you like to give the assignment?"

Kaki beamed, "Of course!"

She stepped forward. "As you girls are aware, this year is especially important for us as....well, who knows what other time the borders with Maghad will be peaceful."

Kaurvaki's hands tensed.

Kaki quickly brightened again to lighten the mood. "But this Meenakshi Festival, we must make it count. We must pray to Goddess Meenakshi that our men will be undefeatable, and our children safe!"

"Aiy!", everyone cheered.

Everyone's hearts filled with pride for their kingdom!

Whether rich or poor, young or old, the Kalinga people had such a tight bond that every child would be immersed in patriotism the minute they were born.

Out of excitement from the moment, Kaurvaki lifted her hand in the air, "Hail Kalinga!"

"Hail Kalinga!", everyone boomed.

They were all back to their excited mood once more. Kaki nodded in approval.

"Now, there is no such thing as a small job or a big job. And in the end, all of you must have to attend the pooja at this age."

The girls nodded eagerly, but some silently exchanged looks, as everyone knew that being chosen to represent that fishermen group was the most honorable.

Kaaki started calling out the roles of decorating the altar, to food preparation, to the traditional dance group, and so on. 

Kanji got chosen for the dance crew, and she could barely contain her excitement.

Kaurvaki smiled, it was perfect for Kanji! She was really happy for her.

Only three girls' names hadn't been called yet, and they were the older ones, Kaurvaki being the younger of the three. Neela and Meena exchanged competitive glances.

"Neela, Meena, Kaurvaki." Kaki turned to them. They stood alert. "You three being the oldest will be given bigger positions."

Kaurvaki became tensed, she wondered who would be the representative. Certainly, she DID NOT want to!

Everyone else was anticipating her answer. Kaki chuckled and continued, "Neela."

"Yes!", she looked eagerly at her.

"You will be in charge of the dance crew." Her expression slightly changed, but she beamed once more as the people in the dance group greeted her.

"Kaurvaki!"

Her fingers fidgeted.

"You have a very adventurous nature, and when we all thought of it..."

Her palms became sweaty.

"We decided to have a full-fledged play, and you can conduct it!"

Kaurvaki froze, "Wait...REALLY!"

Kaki laughed and nodded. All the other people were the least envious, they thought of this to be a very interesting idea, and couldn't wait to see what Kaurvaki would present!

That's when everyone realized who would be getting the true honor.

Envious eyes turned towards on person who beamed a million smiles.

"And by now, we all know that our representative will be...Meena!"

Everyone murmured their congratulations to her.

Kaurvaki came up to her, "Congratulations Meena!"

Meena now looked at her without that usual skeptical expression.

'Looks like she's finally gotten over the seashell instead!' Kaurvaki thought.

Meena smiled a genuine smile at, "Thank's Kaurvaki. Actually, I think it's splendid that they are doing a play this year! Since the play runs along with the dance...", she gestured to Neela, "We all could work together to get things sorted up!"

Kaurvaki was surprised at this sudden actual conversation she was having with her. Her father was right, if she tried talking to these girls, they actually weren't so bad, and they could become genuine friends.

Both Neela and Kaurvaki nodded, and they all started discussing their plans. There was already that tint of festivity in the air as the girls started discussing what to do next.