Thirty Two: Trentadue [re-written 02/07/21]

[RE-WRITTEN]

Liliana commenced the morning as she had before her marriage. Zia Adelina and Liliana sat out in the garden, sharing a pot of tea and nibbling on her Zia's homemade cornetto's. A bite of the sweet pastry truly signified her return to Italy, however short the trip would be.

Marcello was still in their room, on the phone to his brothers to ensure everything was still running smoothly back in New York, despite the fact that it had not even been twenty-four hours since they had left. But, if keeping in contact with his brothers was required for the trip to happen, then Liliana didn't care. 

"Tell me honestly, how has everything been since the incident?" Adelina asked, setting down her fork as she finished the last of her breakfast. 

"The incident?" Liliana asked with a frown, still picking at her own food. 

"Since the break-in," her aunt clarified. She looked annoyed as she continued to explain, "Roderigo only called just before Marcello did about visiting, and he didn't tell us much but I know he's been working with Marcello to locate those responsible. I certainly had a word with him about not telling me sooner. I've been worried ever since waiting for your arrival."

Liliana felt something in her chest constrict, and to avoid answering straight away, she took a long sip of her tea. How much should she reveal to her aunt? Should she tell her about the sleepless nights, the bouts of anxiety, or the momentary panic attack she experienced after returning to the D'Onofrio manor alone? 

"I-" Liliana's voice broke. "I've not been doing great. It's been a struggle to feel safe in the house, and I already didn't feel comfortable there. Ever since the wedding I've felt so exhausted all the time, I never have much of an appetite, and I just... I don't know what to do with myself anymore. The attack only seemed to exasperate that." 

"Oh Liliana," Adelina sighed, watching her with sad, misty eyes.  

"I've been staying with a friend for a few weeks," Liliana said, her fingers tapping restlessly against the table top. She had discussed this topic with very few people; only Sophia and Marcello thus far and it discomforted her to talk about such private feelings. "I had to get away for a while." 

"A friend? Is that safe?"

"Sophia lives with her uncle, his house is a good drive from the city and is no doubt safer than the D'Onofrio's. He's wealthy, wealthier than Marcello, and can afford the protection. Marcello trusts him."

"And do you trust Marcello's judgment?" Adelina queried.

"I trust my own judgement," Lilian firmly insisted. She needn't Mercello to hold her hand for every decision now she was married. She had managed well enough on her own for years before her father and Sebastiano interfered. "But I also know Marcello cares a lot for my safety, he wouldn't let me stay there if he thought Barbato could not keep me safe." 

Her aunt nodded, lips pursed as she sat quietly and digested the information. 

"Has my father contacted you at all?"

"No, not since he left to sign the contracts with Sebastiano about the restaurants," Adelina disclosed bitterly. She sighed, and glared down at her empty cup, uttering tersely, "I never knew he could be so stupid."  

"I've come to understand my father has done a lot of stupid things in his life, one being Gabriella D'Onofrio." 

Adelina tensed, hissing sharply through her teeth. "That was who he had an affair with?" 

"You knew?" Liliana asked, just as shocked. 

"I went to visit him in America, before you were born, and I suspected he was having an affair with someone. I could never be sure though and I didn't dare say something. Our men are known to have their mistresses but-" Adelina shook her head, her mouth curving into a sneer. "To sleep with Sebastiano D'Onofrio's wife, what was he thinking? I suppose your marriage makes more sense now."