Fifteen: Quindici [edited 29/03/21]

Liliana quickly willed her expression into one of indifference just before the women arrived at their table. As clear as it was that Giovanni knew her, and as much amusement as she gained from Giovanni's discomfort, this woman was a stranger to Liliana and she knew she had to be cautious before she let her guard down. Not to mention, that anyone who voluntarily associated themselves with the D'Onofrio's surely had a deadly side.

"Giovanni," the woman greeted, her smile tight as her eyes flicked towards the scowling man before settling on Liliana. There was no mistaking the challenge in the woman's eyes, one Liliana didn't care to accept.

"Sophia," Giovanni grunted, his jaw was tight. He clenched his hands, dragging them from the table out of sight.

Sophia's arms crossed against her chest, her hip cocking to the side as she glanced down at the wedding ring openly displayed on Liliana's hand which was wrapped comfortably around her warm cup of tea. Her eyes then moved towards the three guards only a short distance away.

"Mrs D'Onofrio I assume," Sophia addressed when Giovanni didn't bother to introduce them. She spoke calmly, no apparent angst in her voice despite the irritation gleaming in her large hazel eyes. Liliana had to admit that Sophia's eyes were by far the most attractive quality about her. She could understand why someone - Giovanni - would find her attractive.

Liliana didn't feel any envy towards this woman though, she had no reason to. Liliana knew she was pretty in her own right and she certainly didn't feel possessive over her brother-in-law.

"Liliana Fiorenza D'Onofrio. It's a pleasure to meet you."

There was no questioning what Sophia had assumed. Liliana was here with Giovanni after all, a wedding ring on her finger, and she was sporting the D'Onofrio name. Judging by the sudden tick in Sophia's jaw, it wasn't that far of a reach to guess that Sophia and Giovanni had some kind of romantic past.

Giovanni cleared his throat and in a tired huff began to say, "This is-" but was almost immediately cut off.

"Sophia Raptis, I'm a friend of the family." Sophia's smile was broken by the pursing of her full lips. "I wasn't aware there had been a wedding in the family, it's surprising how quiet that was kept."

"I wanted it to be a small affair," Liliana lied, forcing any bitterness from her tone at the subject of her wedding. She had been warned long in advance that she'd have to keep up the act of her marriage in public. Now was the time to let her talents in misleading shine. "I'm rather shy when it comes to too much attention. Marcello didn't seem to mind." At the mention of her husband's name, Liliana noticed the tense edge to Sophia's stance lessen.

"Marcello, of course." Sophia's eyes darted to her bodyguards once again. "I thought the suits were a bit much for Giovanni," she revealed humorously. A smile lifted the corners of Liliana's lips and she didn't fail to notice Giovanni roll his eyes in exasperation. The mountain of a man threw a glare in Liliana's direction, as if Sophia's presence was somehow her fault, before standing.

"I have a phone call to make," he excused himself, gesturing to the street outside with a nod of his head. He was about to leave but not before adding, "Don't spend too long in here, we haven't got all day."

Ever the grouch.

Once Giovanni made his escape, Sophia invited herself to the table, crossing her legs and resting her palms on the table as she openly stared at Liliana with a grin.

"So Marcello, huh?" She queried, tilting her head ever so slightly as her eyes ran unabashed up and down Liliana's form. She made no attempt to hide her curiosity and Liliana felt uncomfortable under such an intense scrutiny. "How did that happen? Last I saw of that man he was barely in the room for five minutes and he didn't speak to anyone. I don't think I've ever had a decent conversation with him and I've known the D'Onofrio's for years."