Seven: Sette [re-written 15/01/21]

Sleep alluded Liliana that night. With the importance of tomorrow - her wedding day - weighing so heavily, Liliana was barely able to lay still for more than a few minutes.

She feared what the cold shackles of marriage would bring; the restrictions she would experience once she became wife to Marcello D'Onofrio.

Again and again, Liliana found her thoughts straying to that of Gabriella D'Onofrio. Where was the woman right now? For what reason did she have to not attend her own son's wedding? Was she another woman victim to the hard life that came with marrying a mafia man; trapped at home, isolated, and controlled. Was this what Liliana's life was to become?

It was 2:00 am when Liliana found herself wandering into the kitchen in the dark, too afraid to turn on the lights in fear that she would disturb one of the D'Onofrio men. She couldn't bare to face them right now. There was a heavy pressure pressing down on her chest and she could feel the bile rising in the back of her throat. She needed to get something to eat, to drink. She needed fresh air. She needed to escape.

With hesitance behind every step, Liliana shuffled into the kitchen and poured herself a glass of water, all the while staring out at the beach where the waves lapped gently against the sand - the glow of the moon on the dark water seeming ethereal. What better place was there to be married? A small stretch of land surrounded by miles of sea so that she couldn't escape even if she tried - not that she would dare face the wrath of Sebastiano or her own grandfather.

"Why are you still awake?" A low, grumbling voice startled her. She jumped with a short, quiet yelp - water sloshing out from the glass onto her hands - and flattened her back against the sink. Her other hand flew to her chest where she could feel her heart pounding beneath her fingertips.

Liliana's eyes strained through the darkness and she could just about make out Marcello's sturdy figure. To her horror he was only wearing sleep pants and despite the lack of light she was unable to miss his toned torso. Her lips parted ever so slightly and a shuddering breath escaped.

"Merda," she swore quietly under her breath which was followed by the sound of Marcello's deep chuckles.

"Didn't mean to startle you." And yet his smirk suggested otherwise.

Liliana tried to hide her scowl and headed for the doorway; which, unfortunately for her, he was partially blocking.

"I couldn't sleep," she hissed, her fingers curving tighter around the cool glass in her hand. "I was going to the lounge for a bit." She stalked by him, her hard glare wavering as her shoulder brushed against his chest.

She nearly faltered at the feel of the heat from his skin and hated herself for how much the mere sight of his body seemed to affect her so easily.

She'd lived amongst enough men for the last three years that the sight of one shirtless shouldn't make her so uncomfortable. And yet she felt her cheeks flushing regardless.

Marcello followed her, giving her no chance to escape him, even choosing to sit beside her on the large sofa just as she was putting her feet up. Without hesitation he grasped her ankles and pulled her feet to rest across his lap, one hand reaching for the remote to turn on the TV. He didn't even glance at her as his hands stroked across her legs, massaging her calves.

"What are you doing?" She asked through gritted teeth, her gaze burning into the side of his head.

"You said you couldn't sleep, right?" He sighed heavily, as if it were obvious. "I'm helping you relax. I don't want my bride exhausted on our big day."

Liliana tried to pull away from him but his grip on her legs remained firm and her struggles only seemed to amuse him.

"I don't even know why you agreed to this marriage," Liliana said, crossing her arms across her chest with a huff.