28. Visions (Epilogue)

I think in this world, we take time for granted. People are so impatient, and they expect things to just fall into their laps. Then there is that other kind of person. The type that falls in love with the stars at night, and smiles at the ever changing world around them.

He's one of those people.

I watch Ryan, air filling and leaving my lungs peacefully. He's on the hood of my car, sitting Indian style with a dreamy look on his face. In his hands is a set of keys.

He's looking at something beautiful in the distance. A small lake just a few miles away from the home that the set of keys belong to.

"It's been a year." I whisper, almost hating to break the soothing silence. My hand reaches out to lay gently on his knee.

"I know." Ryan replies, and looks at me. And when he does the world around us ceases to exist. All I can hear is the eager thrumming of our hearts.

We start our future today, him and I.

Because those keys in his hands have a matching set just like them that open the same doors. They're just hanging in the ignition.

"How'd I get to be so lucky?" I whisper. He rolls his eyes, like always. He thinks I could do better, but there's no one else for me in this world. He's like winning the lottery or getting the bigger half of the wishbone. He's what my dreams are made of, and somehow all my dreams are coming true.

"I'm worried. You know, with fall semester starting soon. We have to pay for our books and tuition, on top of living expenses." He shakes his head, chewing on his bottom lip.

He's right, but I can't bring myself to feel any worry. As long as he's with me, I'll have everything I need.

"We'll make it work."

"I thought I was the optimist."

"You're rubbing off on me." I move closer to Ryan and wrap my arm around his shoulders, placing a kiss on his temple. "You make me better."

"Do you remember how mean you used to be? On the first day of school, I already didn't want to be there, and then there was this punk. You weren't even gonna let me sit by you. Now if you're not touching me in some way or another you have a melt down." Ryan grins at me like he knows he's got me. It's obvious to everyone that he does.

"You're still my kitten." I chuckle brightly, nuzzling his neck. "And I'm your-"

"Don't even say it." Ryan states firmly, raising an eyebrow at me. "We are long past that."

"Are we? Because I distinctly recall you muttering something along the lines of 'oh, Daddy fuck me har-'" I get cut off by Ryan's lips crushing into mine.

"I love you." He whispers when we pull apart.

"I love you too." I reply, and we sit there for a while longer, drinking in our surroundings. We're well aware that the future holds struggles. With Eden and Spencer moving to Los Angeles, I'm being forced to say goodbye to two people that are just as important as Ryan.

It won't be easy.

Eden already promised their pull out couch to Ryan and I  when we visit. I can already see Ryan posing in front of the Hollywood sign, smiling happily.

I also see him at our dining room table, leaning over dozens of English textbooks. Brows furrowing and eyes tired. And I'll greet him with a cup of hot tea and a kiss on the cheek. Convince him to come to bed. He'll refuse because he always works so damn hard.

We'll find our favorite coffee shop to sit at. We'll talk about our days and I'll tell him about this wonderful young man at school who reminds me a lot of myself when I was younger. I'll just say that he needs guidance. And that's what I'll be there for.

And I have this vision of the near future. I'll bring Ryan to this exact spot, get on one knee. I've had the silver band picked out for months, just needed time to find the courage. The band will say 'I will love you for an eternity', and I'll cry when he says yes. Hell, I'll be crying far before that.

That silver ring will be on his finger when he squeezes Eden's hand, talking her through contractions. And tears will be in his eyes when the nurse introduces us to our son, or daughter. It doesn't matter. Eden will be crying too, because she always wanted to be a surrogate for her best friends.

And one day that child will be in a Personal Development class very similar to the one I met Ryan in. We'll tell that child about Barbie, and Eden's plan to sabotage prom.

And I'll hope that one day that child will find someone to love the same way I love their father.

And all my visions get put on hold when Ryan whispers that he's getting cold. Fifteen minutes later, we're opening the front door of our home, and crawling into our bed where we sleep.

And we begin a new chapter today. Our future. Our happily ever after.

"Brendon, if you don't stop hogging the damn covers, I'm going to punch you in the dick."

Sort of.

-The end.

AN: Oh my god, I can't believe the amount of love and support I've gotten during the writing of this fic. It's by far one of my favorites, if not my favorite, that I've ever written. It was a long road, especially will college, but you guys stood by my side and I'm forever grateful for that. Love you for an eternity. Thank you for reading Suck It & See. -Katlyn