“No reason in particular.”

“Where are we going?” She asked, her eyes wandering around her.

“Just to the parlor where you can lie down. That’s a serious bump from the table, not to mention that your ankle looks a little swollen.” I made a quick mention to someone we passed to bring ice and a cloth to the parlor as I continued in that direction.

“You really don’t have to carry me, I’m sure it’s nothing.”

“Or it could be something. You can’t be a nanny with a bad ankle, at least not to Guili. She’s one you have to keep up with at all times.”

“You think I got the job then?” She asked, looking hopeful and I chuckled.

“I’m pretty certain. I know Ian. If he doesn’t hire you, he’s mad.” I set her down carefully on the chaise and pulled the heels off her foot with care as she winced. “See? You winced. It must be tender.”

“It can’t be anything too serious though!” She grimaced, looking down at her swollen ankle.

“Nah, I think it might be a minor sprain, but we won’t know unless we get you to a doctor. Let’s get some of that swelling down first though.” I heard someone enter behind us and ice was brought in on a tray with a cloth.

I took the ice from the frail looking woman who had pushed the tray in and I assured her I could handle it from here. I wanted to see what this girl was like…for Guili’s sake of course…

“So, you’re from New York then? What brings you to London?” I asked her, and she flushed as I pressed the ice to her ankle.

“Oh, um, well, I went to school here. I fell in love with it. After I went back to New York, I only had to spend a year back home to realize this is where I wanted to be. I’ve been pulling a lot of odd jobs as of late to pay rent, staying with a friend from school. But I know I want to be in child care, and I’m certified to homeschool as a tutor as well so if they wanted me long term, that would be a dream position.”

“I’m sure they’ll love you.” I remarked, her blush deepening at my comment. Our eyes were locked and I felt a burning urge to taste her strawberry colored lips.  

“Is she all right?” Ian asked from behind me, coming in the room. I cursed at his timing and looked back at him with a glare. He held his hands up in surrender, “Sorry mate, if I was interrupting anything. Just wanted to check in.”

“Don’t you have other interviews to be doing?” I asked and he shook his head.

“Nah, Greg and I both agreed, you’re the right one for the job, Katie.” Her eyes lit up and I had to catch her again as she stood up to cheer.

“Ouch, oh, thank you! Thank you both!”

“We’ll be sure to have a doctor come and check on that ankle of yours though. We want to make sure you haven’t injured yourself.” After Ian assured her that it wouldn’t be long before the doctor arrived and then she would be free to go until Monday when she would start officially as Guili’s nanny, he left us alone again.

“So, Katie…”

“Yes?” She asked, looking back at me.

“I was thinking, perhaps, to celebrate your new job, perhaps we could get dinner tomorrow night? It’s Friday, so I know you might have other plans, but…”

“Don’t get me wrong, Chad. That sounds marvelous. But I’m just wary about getting involved with someone whose family I’m working for, if that makes sense.” She replied, with a frown. I inwardly cursed. She made a good point, but I wasn’t giving up so easily. Love had never come easily to me. Never. I always ended up with a broken heart and I could never understand why. I did everything you were supposed to. I was romantic, I was pretty sure I was attractive, I was sweet, I was never mean to any of them. Why did nobody feel that I was good enough to keep?

“Well, then how about just as friends? You’ll be spending a lot of time around here with all of us. We should at least become better acquainted.”

She smiled, and nodded. “That sounds lovely. All right then. Let’s do it.” She gave a look of shock. “Not it…not do it…I mean, the dinner…just dinner, not that I thought…oh god.” She rambled, looking horrified at her trail of speech.

“You’re quite adorable.” I said, unable to stop my chuckling at her awkwardness. “I’ll pick you up tomorrow at 7 then? Ian already has your information, so I’ll call to let you know when I’m on my way.”

“Or text, I’m always texting…” She murmured, seeming even more nervous than in her interview. I stood up and tried not to laugh.

“All right. I’ll text you then. I have to go and see what’s up with the guys now, but I’ll see you tomorrow night.”

“Yes…right…tomorrow night.” She mumbled, avoiding my gaze. I left the room feeling victorious. Maybe this time, it was my turn to find someone.

 __________________________________________

Hope you enjoyed! Please vote and comment! CH 4 is halfway done!

Love you all! <3