Chapter 10

Greg

I jumped when Fiore placed a hand on my shoulder. I turned and saw her smiling at me, but anyone who knew Fiore always looked to her eyes. I recognized the mischievous planning look in her eyes instantly. "How may I help you, milady?" I asked, turning toward her. She gave a look at Eliza, who cocked her brow questioningly. Fiore's gaze turned back to me, with an identical expression.

"I'll be back in a minute, Eliza. I haven't yet had a dance with Fiore." She nodded and I walked with Fiore to dance. She hadn't said a word yet, so I simply pulled her close and began dancing, waiting for her to start. With Fiore, there was always a purpose behind her actions. I simply had to be patient.

"So, how was New York?" She asked me, politely.

"Dirty," I answered simply. "But exciting."

"It must have been much more than that. You stayed away so long." Her voice was even, but I heard the hint of anger behind it. I knew Fiore had been supportive of my need to leave, feeling stifled in my own environment. But she also wasn't happy with how I'd left things with Christine.

"I don't regret my trip, Fiore. I learned a lot about myself. What I want in life. But I will admit that I made a mistake in how I went about it."

Fiore sighed. "As much as I would like to, I'm not here to berate you for leaving. You're an adult, you wanted to leave, so you did it. I've known you almost as long as Christine, and care about you too. I know how badly you needed to leave. You had to let your father know you wouldn't just be his stable hand forever, you are capable of much more. I was upset that you hurt Christine, but you didn't do anything wrong. She's a big girl."

"Then please enlighten me, Fi. You're scaring me with that delightfully eerie smile of yours." I joked and she gave a light laugh.

"You know, I missed you too." She admitted. "You rarely kept in touch."

"I did try. But I was an idiot. I got swept up by the city and forgot to keep my family in mind." She didn't answer, but I caught her eyes sweeping the room.

"So why now? Was two years your limit? Or did it have to do with a certain ring?" She asked me. I tensed under her probing gaze and frowned.

"Fi..."

"Don't act as if I'm supposed to be clueless."

"I never have."

"Good," She smiled. "She's still just as beautiful as ever, right?"

"I can't argue with that." I admitted. "Just as wonderful too, I imagine."

"A bit more hardy, actually. A tad more cynical." Fiore informed me. "You broke the heart of the hopeless romantic. What did you expect? She's grown up, Greg. She still loves pink frilly things, of course." We shared a laugh at that. "But she's not going to fall at your feet because of something that ended two years ago. She's too...guarded for that to happen."

"Why are you divulging this all to me?" She sighed and didn't answer my question.

"I hope you didn't come all the way back up here just to screw everything up." She finally said.

"So you think pursuing her is a bad idea?"

"Is that what I said? I merely said don't screw up."

"Vague, as always, Fi."

"Am I supposed to spoon feed you everything?" She asked, her eyebrow raising again.

"No, I guess that would be a lot less exciting." I replied in an amused tone. Fiore scanned the room once again and finally settled her gaze in one area.