Chapter 2

Next chapter! Let's get into some stuff finally! lol

____________________________________________

Greg

I shivered from the cold January air as the taxi pulled away. I looked up at the palace and blew out a long breath. Being so far away for so long had made it difficult to keep in touch with everything that was going on around here.

I’d mostly kept in touch with Chad, who also hadn’t really been home as much either. Suffice it to say, I was running in here blind. I knew it was unfair of me to hope that Christine would be welcoming on my return, especially since she refused to speak to me in addition to Chad refusing to tell me any details about what she’d been up to. All I had to go on was what I’d heard from news and magazines, which tended to be pretty dry these days. All I knew was she was dating this pretty-boy from her school, and the stories pretty much ended there.

I knew one thing for sure though. My entire trip, I’d missed her. I’d missed her more than anyone else and thought about her often as I traveled. I couldn’t wait to see her the moment I’d landed, and before I knew it, I’d found myself here on her doorstep. Her and that idiot couldn’t be that close though, and she and I had history. Maybe if I could just convince her that we were meant to be, she’d come back to me.

I made my way toward the entrance, suitcase dragging behind me, giving the guards a polite nod as I passed into the foyer. It was at that moment that I saw her. Her golden hair had grown even longer, flowing down just past her mid-back. Long legs stretched out below her knee-length blue dress, matching her sparkling eyes staring at the man whose arms she was embraced in.

I felt the heat of jealously bubbling up in my stomach as her pretty-boy boyfriend leaned down and kissed those beautiful pink lips that were once mine to taste. I swallowed the swear about to erupt from me as I caught glimpse of a sparkling glimmer on her left hand.

I felt light headed and in that moment fought the urge to fall to my knees in defeat. The woman I loved was engaged…to another man. She was giggling as he pulled away. She moved and glanced in my direction, her eyes widening in shock. “Greg?”

Christine

I wanted to disappear right then and there. What the hell was he doing here? “Greg?” I repeated when he didn’t say anything. He was staring at the both of us, almost as if he were in some type of trance. He shook his head and managed a smile before walking toward us and extending his hand out to me. I stared at it for a moment before looking back to his face, cocking my eyebrow. He blinked, his expression unchanging as he waited for me to take his hand. I slowly placed my hand in his and he pulled me against him in a tight hug, pushing a surprised gasp from my lips.

“Greg, what are you doing here?” I voiced the question buzzing in my head.

“I’m home. I thought it would be nice to come visit everyone. I heard Ian and Lana are here too.”

“Y-yes, they’re just upstairs. They’re resting after the long drive here.” I stammered, still in shock from his sudden appearance and the surprising hug. What was he playing at? Did he think he could just come back and we’d suddenly be friends again?

“Good, good.” He paused for a moment before glancing at Micah and extending his hand once more. I had almost completely forgotten my fiancé standing right behind me.

“Oh, um, Micah, this is Greg. Greg, Micah.” I introduced, feeling the awkward tension build as Micah recognized the name.

“It’s a pleasure,” Micah said politely, but I watched as the squeezing handshake commenced. I shook my head and rolled my eyes at the competition they both seemed to be having as they stared hard at each other.