Chapter 9

Nice long chapter! Enjoy :) I really like this song for Fiore and Chad's dance :) but it's kind of sad sounding :(

____________________________________________________________

Chad

Fiore and I hadn't danced in a while, now that I thought about it. I looked down at her bright, shining smile and her long tresses pulled to one side in curls. I smiled down at her, as her grin was contagious. It was nice to see Fiore like this. Pure joy sparkling in her eyes. It only lasted for a moment though. "So what do you think of Katie?" At my words, I saw the guarded expression set into place. She tensed, before relaxing again in my arms as we swayed to the music.

"What do you think of Katie?" She redirected my own question at me. A very Fiore tactic that I had become well-acquainted with. At her question, I couldn't help but smile though.

"Katie..." I paused, glancing to see her laughing with Greg and Eliza, before he put his arms over their shoulders and walked off with them. "She's elegant, smart, beautiful. I love how enthralled she is by her work and how exuberantly she discusses her dreams and hopes for the future. She's so sweet and adorable, in an almost innocent kind of way..." I gushed and Fiore rolled her eyes.

"That is a lovely suit, don't make me vomit all over it." She retorted in a clipped tone.

"Don't be like that." I replied, gently. "She really is very sweet."

"Chad, you barely know this woman."

"I'm sure you know her well enough for the both of us." I returned, an eyebrow cocked. She tried to hide her side smirk, closing her eyes briefly before letting her eyes move back up to mine.

"You know I'm just doing my job." Her tone was gentler now and my smile returned.

"I know. And you're very good at it. I'm glad I know I always have you on my side. You're one of the few people I trust, Fiore. Which is why I value your opinion so highly."

"I don't know her well enough yet to fully trust her." She finally revealed. "We have to be careful, especially with someone who doesn't understand our lives, how we have to function."

"It wasn't like she threw herself at me." It was strange, I knew Fiore had a point, but I felt the need to defend Katie. "I basically had to force her into a date with me. She was too afraid of getting into something so close to her job. She didn't want to complicate things. But I was persistent."

Fiore's lips pursed indignantly. "What on Earth makes you think you should have to twist anyone's arm?" She replied, obviously not sated by my answer. "Anyone would be lucky to have you."

"Anyone but you," I retorted, probably a little too quickly. I think she caught onto the slight anger present in that statement. Fiore let out a soft sigh before replying.

"Chad, I've already told you I'm not the relationship sort. You were falling in love, and I was just having fun." Her statement hit me hard in the chest, a familiar memory of not too long ago when we had a similar conversation. Something flickered in her eyes at my hurt expression, but it disappeared as quickly as it came. I decided to change the subject away from something we both obviously didn't want to revisit.

"Anise called again." I revealed and the anger flashing in Fiore's expression was easily seen. She seemed to radiate it at the mention of Anise's name.

"You can tell that daft cow that I've given her way more chances than she deserves. If she hadn't had to deal with that drama with Ian I wouldn't have even shown her the slightest bit of mercy."