Chapter 8

Long awaited. Longer chapter. Mostly just Katie and Fiore. Enjoy!

_______________________________________________________

Katie

I was pretty shocked to see Lana at the party, even if it was in a wheelchair, but I took the opportunity to try and get to know my employers a little better. It did seem like a strange situation to put myself into at first, but then I realized just how wonderful and easy-going they both were. "Are you excited to get working with Guili? I'm warning you, she's really a handful." Lana said, her kind eyes set on me. Ian was seated beside her on the couch, and I was on the loveseat beside them with Chad.

"Oh yes, I can't wait to be honest. I love working with children, and to think that you hired me for this position is beyond what I even expected." I replied. I nearly jumped as I felt Chad's arm snake around my waist as he pulled me to sit closer to him. My eyes widened. I was sure it was inappropriate to act this way in front of my employers, right? They didn't seem to mind though, and Chad certainly wasn't letting me go anywhere.

"Well, I'm very happy to have found someone as qualified as you. Your previous experience working with children is extensive and I can tell Guili already adores you." Lana said, with a kind smile which I returned.

I was so surprised at her warm demeanor, thinking back on all the events she'd witnessed and been through. I couldn't imagine being Lana. She had to be a very strong person to still be as confident and thoughtful as she seemed. "I'm honored that you all trust me enough for this position." I replied, still not feeling too comfortable to say really just how much I respected and idolized her. After about another twenty minutes, Ian convinced Lana that he should take her home to rest. She begrudgingly agreed and indicated for me to learn over to give a hug goodbye. As I leaned over I heard her whisper into my ear, "Take care of Chad. He's special to us all." She pulled back to see my slightly shocked expression and winked at me before heading out with Ian. Chad went to walk them out and I stayed to wait on the couch, still reeling at the situation I was in. I was shortly joined by Fiore and I felt my entire body stiffen at the sudden cold tension that was present.

After about a minute of silence between us, without moving her gaze from the party-goers, she spoke. "So, you think you're actually good enough for Chad?"

Her question shocked me. Was this what Greg, Ian, and Chad had meant when they said that Fiore had tests for me? What did she expect me to say? No? "Um...yes?" I replied, slightly hesitantly. I was nervous, and I could tell she knew it.

"Is that a question?" Fiore asked, an eyebrow raised, still not bothering to even look directly at me. I felt a low bubbling rage at the pit of my stomach flowing over the nervous feeling.

"Listen," I began, attempting to control my wavering voice, "I understand that you care about Chad, but so do I. We've only been on one date, so I don't know much about him, or where this is going, but I know he's wonderful, that I like him, and that I'm definitely good enough for anyone."

"Good enough for anyone?" She said, lips pursed, her body set in a confident and perfect state of posture as she continued, turning her gaze to me finally. I held her gaze, somehow knowing that looking away would be a mistake. "Somehow, I doubt that. If he falls for you, and you think this is a chance to make it with someone rich, I suggest you forget you ever met him or this family. You may work for Lana and Ian now, but I can promise you, you're better off finding another employer than having me as an enemy. Or maybe, you've forgotten about your brother's gambling debt? The debt you took on yourself? How's paying that back going by the way?" She spoke so nonchalantly about my past burdens. Almost as if she were discussing the weather.