Chapter Two

To say that I was pissed would be an understatement. I could practically feel the steam coming out of my ears as I drove over to my best friend's house.

Milo has always been too trusting, too easily saw the good in people. Hell, that's how we became friends in the first place. While he had just silently suffered through the alphas' leers during middle school, I had fumed at him for letting them talk to him that way. But Milo had just given me the smallest smile, the one I now know he only does when he is upset, and had shrugged his shoulders.

"It doesn't bother me what they say," he had told me while I had proceeded to glare at the assholes. "Just as long as I have you by my side, Ollie."

His words then still manage to creep into my mind rather frequently. He was the one out of the two of us who was the bravest, defying his parents by going to college while I had been too chicken shit to do the same. But then it got lonely with my best friend being away, so I had enrolled in the same college, only a semester behind him.

It is only because of him that I managed to get my degree in Child and Family Studies and then a Master's in Early Childhood Education.

Well, Grandmother might have pushed a bit, but it took Milo being over two hundred miles away for me to realize that I needed to push past the stereotypes and pursue my passion.

And then Milo met Aaron, the biggest asshole to ever live. He treated Milo like shit ever since they first got together. But he had been Milo's first love, and my best friend could be a little blind sometimes.

I knew this would be coming some day, so I have been prepared. Too bad it was Aaron who left and not the other way around. Milo doesn't deserve to be hurt that way.

The Thai food delivery guy is just getting out of the car when I pull up into the drive way. He looks a little spooked to see me come up behind him but lets me take the food from him anyway. The heavy tip might have helped too.

With my overnight bag slung over my shoulder and the Thai food in hand, I make my way up the porch steps, putting the key that Milo had given to me years ago into the lock.

Milo is just where I expected him to be: on the couch with his blanket wrapped around him. He looks up when he sees me, his lips turning up into a small smile. It clashes against his red rimmed eyes, and I have to restrain myself from leaving to go and try to find Aaron.

"Hey, you made it," Milo says, pushing himself up from the couch. The blanket is draped over his shoulders like a cape before he wraps it tighter around himself.

"Told you I would be here," I say, dropping my overnight bag against the couch and setting the Thai food on the coffee table. "Now come here and let me love you."

He lets out a strained laugh but walks into my outstretched arms anyway. Pulling him close, I lean down to press a kiss onto the top of his hair as he buries his face in my neck, small sniffles coming from him.

"He just left," he says, voice a little muffled as he speaks against my skin. "All because I'm infertile, Ollie. He said that he has had enough of me not being a proper omega and that he wanted a- a divorce."

My arms tighten around him, hands running up and down the length of his back. "He's an asshole, love," I murmur, pulling him over to the couch so that we can both sit down. "He can't see how amazing you are."

"Not amazing," he mumbles, and his words make my heart ache.

Because my best friend truly is amazing. He was the omega that all the rest of us hoped to be: intelligent, patient, and parental. It isn't fair that he can't have his own children when he is the one who deserves them the most. Aaron is an asshole for leaving because of this, but knowing him, he is just using this as an excuse.