Chapter Six

Something is pounding my head, making me want to turn over and go back to sleep. But someone is calling. Grunting, I force myself to open my eyes to a dim room, both of my hands being held.

"Where 'm I?" I rasp, looking to my right to see Ollie watching me with wide eyes. My hand is tightly clasped between his, and it is easy to see the worry on his face.

Ollie opens his mouth to answer but is cut off by someone else. "Cedar's Hospital."

That voice is way too familiar, and I am internally wincing as I turn to see my brother sitting on my left. He is the one holding my other hand. His dark brows are pinched together in worry, the blue eyes that are so familiar to my own watching me with concern.

"What happened?" I ask again, gratefully taking the cup of water that Ollie hands me. "Xania called me from the café, told me that she was worried about you. When I got there, you were out of it and running a high fever. You were scaring me, so I brought you to the hospital."

A knock comes from the door, causing us all to look up at the doctor who walks in. It is an older omega, wearing a pair of glasses that sit slightly crooked on his round face. "Mr. Harris-"

"Katz, please," I whisper, not liking the sound of Aaron's last name anymore. "Harris is my ex's last name." This causes Nico's head to whip over to me, but I refuse to meet his eyes right now.

The doctor just nods, not put off in the least, just making a quick change to the chart he is holding before looking back at me. "How are you feeling, Mr. Katz?"

"Exhausted."

The doctor just nods his head. "Yes, I would expect that." He flips the page on his clipboard, reading something over. "You had us worried here, so I put in a call to Dr. Cole. When she heard the symptoms I was describing, she decided to come down here herself and start running some tests."

The mention of my fertility doctor has me tensing. I can already tell that I am going to be told something that I do not like. Another knock comes from the door, and sure enough, Dr. Cole steps into the room. Her dark curls are twisted into a bun high on her head, and she gives me a warm smile as she comes to stand next to the other doctor.

"Milo, good to see that you are awake and have met Dr. Hershel." Nodding my head, I watch as she hands her own clipboard over to the omega doctor and his eyebrows raise as he reads over whatever is on the paper. "Your test results are in, and they are a little startling, to say the least."

"What is it?" Nico asks, his hand giving mine a vicious squeeze.

"It seems, Milo, that you are suffering from an exaggerated pre-heat, which only leads me to believe that you will be having just as exaggerated of a heat."

"What?" I whisper, brows crinkling in confusion. My pre-heats usually consists of mild nausea and slight tiredness, enough to keep me from eating and staying inside the days before my heat strikes. "Why is this happening? Is it the hormones?"

"Something like that," Dr. Cole says. "Have you been taking any type of suppressants over the last few months?"

"Of course not!" I say, hands tightening around Nico's and Ollie's. "I was trying to have a baby not prevent having one, for crying out loud."

"You tested positive for high amounts of the hormones that trick your body into thinking it is already pregnant, something that only happens when suppressants are involved."

"I-I don't know what to say," I whisper. Moisture is gathering in my eyes, but I can't will myself to free my hands, instead just letting the tears fall. "How is this possible?"