In the Tent

20: In the Tent

"Sasha, I'll repeat my previous question. What do you know of what happens to an elementist when they die?"

"No idea." Sasha replied. "But I'm guessing it's different to what happens to humans, as you've bothered to mention it."

"Sister, when an Elementist dies, their body disappears.  All that's left is a ball of light. The colour varies depending on what element they were.  So Water is turquoise, Nature is forest green, Fire is red, Death is purple... you get the idea. The next person, animal or thing that touches that ball of light gains the Elementist's power."

"How do you know this?"

"Firstly, I've seen it.  Secondly, before I've seen it, Olivia told me."

"And how did she know?"

"Ever since Hephzibah, all her descendants have been Elementists. Olivia was raised by her mother and grandmother, also Life and Nature Elementists. I suppose they told her. She told me that the medallion told her. Apparently when Hephzibah died, and all that was left of her was a ball of light, her medallion rolled off the table and touched the ball of light. So, in many ways, the medallion contains Hephzibah's soul. Olivia said that the medallion whispered to her.  All a lot of nonsense.

"Carrying on, this is how wands were created. Idols as well. It is also how Elementists can control more than one element. Imagine! One person could have multiple powers. Think about how powerful that person would be!"

"Trust me, I'm thinking about it."

"Now, what were you told about the Death Wolves in relation to Willow Forest?"

Sasha thought back to what Ash had told her. "They would happily come and rip our guts, but they don't as long as we're in Willow Forest. They are still dogs. They respect that Willow Forest is our territory, so they don't venture there."

"Yes. They don't go anywhere near Willow Forest. Unless by invitation. And who invited them to Willow Forest two years ago?  Olivia Green.